Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What kind of filter is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

uwscsi

Hello!

I am trying to figure out this filter, but I am having difficulties understanding it :eek:

The filter is mounted after a circuit breaker and before some zenerdiodes and a AC feedthrough capacitor.

My first guess was that this was a bandpass filter, but since I can not explain it, I really do not know...

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• AC-filter.jpg
    AC-filter.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 298
Basically it is a balanced low-pass filter.
Its purpose is to keep RF noise out of some piece of equipment.
The "zener diodes" you refered to are probably "Transorb" type surge arrestors for limiting voltage spikes.

JimB

Thanks for your quick reply.
The Zeners are for dealing with transients so your "guess" is correct:D
And the filter is of course there to deal with RF noise, but I have not seen this design before (230V/60Hz lines).

An explanation would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi there,

Looks like a line filter to me. I keeps noise from the line from reaching the
equipment, but also keeps noise from the equipment from injecting into the
line.

Hi there,

Looks like a line filter to me. I keeps noise from the line from reaching the
equipment, but also keeps noise from the equipment from injecting into the
line.

I am in particular interested in R1 and its function in this circuit.

Concerning the noise from equipment entering the line, should not the feedthrough capacitor at the exit deal with this (not in the posted image)?

I am in particular interested in R1 and its function in this circuit.

Concerning the noise from equipment entering the line, should not the feedthrough capacitor at the exit deal with this (not in the posted image)?

The purpose of R1 is to discharge the capacitor, which could be charged if the filter is disconnected.. its a UL requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back