Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What kind of controller would you use? 10us cycle, dual encoder value to 10k x 10k LUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triode

[Edit: never mind, the spec has changed to be pretty easy]

I know the title is a bit vague, but this has so many possible solutions I could use some help narrowing it down. I know of some controllers that would work, but they might not be the best way. Just fishing for ideas.

I have a client that want's a controller to read 2 encoders, reference their value to a 10,000 x 10,000 bit array, and turn 1 output on or off accordingly. It will be getting this array from a PC running a system, how it communicates is open, I could even put it on a PCI card.

The budget is pretty high, but I don't want to over do it if I don't need to. A PSoC could almost handle it except it doesn't have enough memory and I don't think it can access off-chip memory that fast. Another system that comes to mind (because I already know how to use it) is a single board RIO. This might be a bit overkill, but it could easily do the job.

I'm going to look at SBCs that can plug into a PCI slot as well. It would make it nice and compact. Feel free to note any observations about cycle time, tricks that could make this easier and warnings. I've been an automation engineer for 4 years, so I realize there is a lot I don't know, and a lot of methods I don't know about.

I can use LabVIEW, C/C++, and some VHDL, and I'm open to Microcontrollers, PLCs, SBCs, FPGAs or a full computer. I normally would be ok with learning a new programming language for this (and I'm semi proficient in several I haven't mentioned) but for the sake of getting a prototype working soon I'd like to stick to ones I know on this one.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice!

Last edited:
are they digital encoders or analogue? You might struggle with ACQ time if analogue. Would need to check data sheet but reading two channels every 10us is tough . The cap as I am sure you know needs to charge in a uc.

I like pics but again for this I would use sil labs 32 bit Giant gecko, loads of memory and grunt and pretty cheap. but even with a fast uc like that I still think the if its analogue you might struggle inside that time frame.

Then again I re read it and originally was thinking ns not us, not sure without knowing the detail on the encoders

They're digital encoders, but the spec has been changed and it turns out to be a much simpler task than I was originally given. So now I just need a good DSP and pretty much any one could do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back