Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What kind if an CD player do you have on your PC?

What kind if an CD player do you have on your PC?

• CD-ROM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CD-R

• CD-RW

• DVD-ROM

• DVD-R

• DVD-RW

• DVD-RAM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an NEC DVD-RW drive.(i got it whith the PC)

I dont use it much for DVDs(I have only about 2 blank DVDs that i got from an frend for free).

DVDs shine prityer on the underside.(becose the lines are more cramped togeter)

A hp multi-format
it reads and writes everything except for dvd-ram...

it has lightscribe too 8)

How about those new CD players that use an blue laser.Blue diode lasers are REALY REALY expensive.Or do you think they went to the high voltage nitrogen laser.(I dont hink it can thurn on/off fast enugh)

Yeah that is the new up and coming technology. By using a blue laser you can pack sooo much more information on a CD (because of the wavelength of red as compared to blue).

Also, I have a friend here that is working on storing optical data on a CD differently (not in the circular manner that it's currently done but in matrix form). He said that would increase the typical CD storage to something on the order of 25 - 30 GB. Though, he said it wouldn't be available for 10 years.

lol 25 - 30 gig in 10 years ? dead tech then!
They're already working on a MODS disk wich could hold 1 Terabyte (1000 gig!) on the physical size of a DVD...

And it's expected sooner then in 10 years.

I hope the game makers wont make full use of this.(I dont think of downloading an 1000Gb game LOL)

Blue lasers wil have to get cheaper by then.(I wodnt buy such an drive if it costed $3000)

They say blue light can be focused in an much smaler point than Infrared(used in todays CD drives)and therefore achive an higher densety.

I seen a guy stick a bunch of harddrives in a PC to get 2TB(2000GB) of storage.I download all kinds of stuff and i cant get an 140GB disk full.(what wod i do whith 2TB lol)

an 1 TB CD is a bit of an overkill.I mean what yre you going to fill it up whith.

Lets see you fill it up whith 10MB mp3s.Then You cod get about 100 000 000 000 of them on such an CD.Im never going to see that many mp3 in my life.

How about 1GB of flash on an PIC MCU That wod certanly be an overkill.

But they make 1 GHz DSP.Texsas Instrumets makes them.They are in the sabout same packeges as Pentium CPUs are.I think they cost about $300 each.

You'll fill 1Tera quite quick if you have a lot of Television series in HQ DivX (600 Megs per ep)

Well, Television series use up quite a lot of DVD's

Stargate SG1 is 5 DVD's for 1 season, and i currently have 8 seasons so
That's 40 Discs already for 1 show...

Do the math :)

PS: I BOUGHT them all, they're official DVD's
but if there would be a 1 terabyte disk, i could copy all of it onto 1 disc and that would make watching a whole lot easyer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back