Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what kills a LED voltage / amperage

Status
Not open for further replies.

buju357

Hi all

can someone please clarify:

question 1.
sometimes I use led's in car/bike applications and always use a 1 ohm resistor in series else the led fries , now i know these leds are 3.7 volt but the cars system is +-12 volt.
so what does the resistor do , reduce the voltage or reduce the amperage ?

Question2
Im planning to build a high power (5W) flashlight. I have ordered the 5w led and a driver board (buck) that has a input of voltage of 3 - 18 v , im also planning to use 3 x 18650's in series (11.1v) , now this driver board limits the amperage to 1000mA but the specs on the led are 6-7 v forward voltage and 1000mA , I would like to know how the driver board knows / inputs the correct voltage for the specific led ?

----> i want to do the same but using a 3w led ( 3w, 3.7 volt, 750 mA)

thanks

It limits the current - it's excessive current that kills an LED, but excessive current comes from excessive voltage as well (assuming simple resistor limiting).

LEDs have a resistance which varies dependent on the applied voltage. In your case at 6V the diode will let 1A flow, thus has a resistance of 0.166ohms.

However if you increase the voltage then the resistance of your LED decreases and thus more current flows - eventualy the LED will be destroyed. Importantly the resistance is not a linear function like in a basic resistor.

I suggest you buy a cheep LED and gradualy increase the voltage applied to it say 1V to 4V, and measure the current flowing. Plot your results on a graph, even better plot V/I against V, and you'll see exactly what i'm saying.

Your power supply btw is set up as a current source so it will provide whatever voltage needed to drive a current of 1A, if you leave it open circuit the output will be at its maximum voltage.

thanks
here is the driver im planning to use
**broken link removed**

IN STOCK In Stock: ships in 2 to 4 days (5 to 8 during new year season) Worldwide Free Shipping on Everything Worldwide Free Shipping
- 1*Cree 5W regulated power output
- Output current: 1A with P4 emitter; 1.2A with Q5 emitter
- 16.8mm diameter base, 5.5mm overall depth
- Voltage: 3V-18V
- Fully regulated circuit design
Specifications Return to top
Item: 18V 5W Cree Circuit Board for Flashlights (16.8mm*5.5mm)
Dimensions: 0.67 in x 0.67 in x 0.2 in
Weight: 0.07 oz
with this led:

**broken link removed**

DC Forward Voltage (VF): 6.00~ 7.00Vdc
DC Forward Current (IF): 1000 mA
Reverse Voltage (VR): 5V
Reverse Current (Ii): 5uA
Temperature Co-Efficient: 0.04nm / Degree C
Viewing Angle: 140 Degree
intensity Luminous (Iv): 350 ~ 360 LM

from what i can understand is that the driver will drive the led at 6-7 volts and 1000mA
correct ?????

BTW, the thing that often kills ICs/LEDs/etc. is excessive heat. This occurs when the product of the current through a part of the device times the voltage across that part exceeds a reasonable value. Note that it's also not a simple relationship between power and failure. For example, a high power level can result in a conductor in the device dissipating too much power and catastrophically failing (e.g., through melting). A lower power level won't cause this melting, but can result in a different failure mode (say, something like electromigration). I haven't worked on IC reliability for a number of decades, but even back when I was, there were many different failure modes, many of which were thermally activated (i.e., there was an Arrhenius exponential relationship for the time to failure as a function of temperature).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back