Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is your programming language of choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

Just a simple poll, wondering what people here are using. Also, what is your compiler and/or programmer? I know there are lots out there.

Personally I am using SourceBoost C compiler and melabs programmer. So far I have found it to work very well but it is costly for the setup compared to other options.

On a whim, I bought a Velleman PIC programmer kit ( K8048 ) from Maplin. More for the fun of making up a kit ( than actually needing it. ), also the fact that I could plug it into the P.C.
I used the software that came with it, as such I'm using assembly.
And I'm quite happy with it. I don't see a reason to start learning another language whilst still learning one.

I'm with Ciarcia -- Solder!
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
hi,
I use the free microchip MPLAB IDE 7.60 , assembler, its well supported.

A PICStart+ serial port programmer.

Oshonsoft Assembler [MPWINASM] and their Basic for quickies.
Also their PIC Sim and a lot of my own external modules.
Its low cost but it covers most of the common PIC's.
Versions for PIC and PIC18 and AVR.

hi papabravo,
I'm with Ciarcia -- Solder!
Understand 'solder', please advise, whats 'Ciarcia'? or should I Google??:confused:

Last edited:
gramo said:
Swordfish, as there is simply nothing on the market that offers a true structured modular approach to programming in comparison for PIC's

I think you should point out its for the 18F PIC series.

If I felt the need to spend cash for a compiler for 18F's, it would be Swordfish!

ericgibbs said:
I think you should point out its for the 18F PIC series.

If I felt the need to spend cash for a compiler for 18F's, it would be Swordfish!

Aye, its for 18F PIC's. And if Microchip adopted the same techniques as AVR, many (most) of the 16F's would have been discontinued years ago! I'm supprised the inferior uC is thought of as "easier to use"

Last edited:
I think he owns Circuit Seller "Mr. Ciarcia". I used to read it.

Also, if you like BASIC MikroBASIC is nice, does PIC and AVR as well.

mramos1 said:
Also, if you like BASIC MikroBASIC is nice, does PIC and AVR as well.

Sigh, it is probably the most inefficient, "slapped together" compiler on the market. They (mikroElectronica) just want to mass support every device known to man kind, rather than develop refined products that shine above others.

That said, <3 thier development boards

Currently with 18F family, Assembler, MPLAB and Picstart+

Great Cow Basic Edit:Great Cow Basic
Crimson Editor
PICkit 2

No IDE for Great Cow Basic, so you link an editor to your programmer and push an extra couple of buttons. You will definitely be reading more data sheets, as opposed to some some interpreted languages, and feeling closer to the hardware.

Kent
P.S. tried some html code there as a test?

Last edited:
On PC it would have to be VB.

On Pic it would be assembler. I will be trying C with the 18 series soon. I may even try Swordfish.:eek:

Mike.

It is obvious that
Gramo loves Swordfish Basic (aka BABL)
Nigel is into PIC assembler.
Everyone else falls some where in between.

My language of choice is the one I am programming in at the time. If you write code for a living it is rare that you get to choose.

When you first start programming language choice is important. After using many languages for years the distinction blurs and to a degree you stop seeing the language. True for most of the GP languages but less so if you go to something like LISP or SNOBOL.

I once jokingly floated the idea of using forth for a project in what was a primarily C shop... Fun.

I have not done much with it, but at least in the MS world there is now a concept known as a "managed code environment". It compiles to an intermediate code which is then compiled using a runtime aware compiler that can insert garbage collection hooks, exception handling, type safety, array bounds, index checking, etc. etc. It makes programming easier and more reliable. As far as I know it has zip to due with microcontrollers, that will change.

The same language can exist as either managed or unmanaged.

Note that the intermediate language thing is not new. UCSD Pascal was original designed to compile to PCode which was run on a PCode interpreter. In 1979 Western Digital developed a machine called the Pascal MicroEngine the could directly execute UCSD Pascal. I am guessing that these are fairly rare.

By now I would guess I am talking to myself.
yada yada yada

EDIT:
I never really finished this. Thinking no one cared but.
The language debate we often see here is quite similar to that seen on various platforms in the 80s and 90s. A more current issue is if one should use an RTOS and which one. Past that we may start seeing managed code as a possibility some time down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
gramo said:
Sigh, it is probably the most inefficient, "slapped together" compiler on the market. They (mikroElectronica) just want to mass support every device known to man kind, rather than develop refined products that shine above others.

That said, <3 thier development boards
Well, I don't only use Microchip. And it is nice to know there is support for other chips in the same environment. Maybe this person may want to try the Atmel AVR chips.

But more so, I have never had a program/project that did not work and run as I planned it (after I fixed my mistakes).

So maybe if I was a PIC chip only person I would look at Proton (the price is too high for me). But Mikrobasic is a good solution for me. :) Now, on the Atmel chips, ASM is good too. And I have never bought a development board from them either.

Thanks for your comments and I assume you use other microcontroller brands with your same complier (kidding). Better you use if the 12F or 16F chips of the same brand with it as well.

EDIT: Ev0, just read your comments. So true. I was doing 6800 ASM in 1979 range.. I still say, if a real project use ASM, simple ones use BASIC. Platform wise, BASIC always has something for it, my palm, nextel, etc, etc... I think that some rich guy, can not recall his last name (Gates) liked it too. But spliting hairs on which one on a single chip brand..

Swordfish is nice, but they told me 18F only code and no plans to do the old stuff. I think the new people here might want to start with something smaller, cheaper. I might be wrong..

Last edited:
You can get 18F chips in the sub $5 range. I have been getting 18F2321's from Newark for under $3 each. 28 pins 8K bytes. Like the 3 advanced breakpoints instead of 1 std. Now use these in place of 28 pin 16F's.

Unless the project requires a low pin count I do not see any good reason to use the 16F family at this point.

But to each his own.

3v0 said:
You can get 18F chips in the sub $5 range. I have been getting 18F2321's from Newark for under $3 each. 28 pins 8K bytes. Like the 3 advanced breakpoints instead of 1 std. Now use these in place of 28 pin 16F's.

Unless the project requires a low pin count I do not see any good reason to use the 16F family at this point.

But to each his own.

Unless one has tubes of the chips "you" do not seem to have. To each "their" own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back