Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is Vrms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Volts RMS. Root Mean Square is a way of accurately quantifying the effective voltage when the voltage waveform is something other than a non varying DC voltage.

Thank you, i also have another question regarding ng Vrms, i was looking at a calculator for a cockcroft Walton voltage multiplier and one of the fields you had you had to enter was Vrms. Now what i dont get is the the value for Vrms was numeric, what would that mean?

Not sure I like the definition to a newbie. I'll use this one: The RMS value of a waveform applied to a resistive load would have the same Power delivered.

i.e. P=(V^2)/R. if V was 12 V RMS or 12 VDC and the resistance was one ohm, the power delivered is the same.

A typical DVM typically measures the average value of the absolute value of a signal and multiplies it by a constant to give the RMS value of what it thinks is a sine wave.

There is a Calculus formula for computing the RMS value of any periodic waveform and there are easy ways of converting the peak to peak or 0 to peak values of a sine wave. Furthermore TRMS meters usually have a DC and DC+AC mode of operation.

Thank you, i also have another question regarding ng Vrms, i was looking at a calculator for a cockcroft Walton voltage multiplier and one of the fields you had you had to enter was Vrms. Now what i dont get is the the value for Vrms was numeric, what would that mean?

Yes, the voltage will be a numeric value. Is it asking for the input voltage, or the output voltage?

If the input is DC, (from a battery or a well filtered power supply) then the RMS voltage will be the same as the DC voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back