Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is unity gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syafiq

What is a unity gain? I understand that it is a gain of 1 or 0dB, but how is it applied in audio applications? Thanks

If you want to drive a low impedance load from a high impedance source without voltage amplification then you would use a unity gain amplifier.

Unity gain tends to refer to the voltage gain. You can have unity gain in a power amp as it can still have current, thus power gain.
BTW Unity voltage gain is a gain of 1 (1 volt in and 1 volt out). In dBs, it's 0dB as 20 x log (1) = 0.

Unity gain tends to refer to the voltage gain. You can have unity gain in a power amp as it can still have current, thus power gain.
BTW Unity voltage gain is a gain of 1 (1 volt in and 1 volt out).
I agree with that, but I would like to point out that the following statement is a bit iffy, verging on totally wrong.
In dBs, it's 0dB as 20 x log (1) = 0.

The deciBel is defined as the ration of two POWERS.
If we wish to calculate the dB gain using voltages, we must either make sure that the impedance of the input and output of the system are the same, or we must account for the impedance difference by using the expression
dB = 10 x Log(V2 x V2 /R2)/(V1 x V1 /R1)
effectively calculating the input and output powers.

If an amplifier has current gain but no voltage gain, it still has power gain.

JimB

I agree with that, but I would like to point out that the following statement is a bit iffy, verging on totally wrong.

In dBs, it's 0dB as 20 x log (1) = 0.

The deciBel is defined as the ration of two POWERS.
That's true by definition. But it is common (though not technically correct) to refer to voltage gain in dB as 20 log (Vo/Vin) even when the input and output impedances are different.

JimB:

JimB said:
If an amplifier has current gain but no voltage gain, it still has power gain.

Assume "A"=gain

Ambiguous: Take no to mean 0 or take no to mean 1. 0*A = 0 power gain;
Voltage of 1 is still gain. So, so is a gain of 0.1 gain or no gain? Otherwise we get this piecemeal discontinuous function at A=1, I don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back