Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this three-legged component?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athosworld

When I opened an old CRT TV remote, I found this component that looks like a ceramic capacitor.
99096B98-85BD-4626-BB71-A1720A7CD61E.jpeg

It is a ceramic resonator, one with the loading capacitors built in - the centre pin is the ground for the capacitors.

Yes it's a ceramic resonator, seems a higher frequency than most though, I seem to recall they were usually 455KHz or so? - they commonly break off, due to the remotes been dropped. I suspect it's probably a remote that uses a micro-controller, rather than a custom remote IC.

The outer two are the direct connections to the resonator, then the centre one is (typically) ground, with an appropriate value load capacitor to each outer terminal.

The commonest crystal oscillator configuration on microprocessors, or using CMOS gate etc., uses a crystal with a capacitor to ground from either end.

Those ceramic resonators are a low cost equivalent to a quartz crystal, with lower frequency accuracy. The three terminal ones also combine the capacitors to reduce the component count.

eg
osc33.gif

xtal_osc.png

A three terminal resonator replaces the separate crystal and load caps.

Yes it's a ceramic resonator, seems a higher frequency than most though, I seem to recall they were usually 455KHz or so? - they commonly break off, due to the remotes been dropped. I suspect it's probably a remote that uses a micro-controller, rather than a custom remote IC.
That explains why it fell off so easily and without desoldering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back