Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this square shape LED light bulb called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

What is this Harbor Freight flash light bulb called?

What is volt & amp rating?

Is this an LED type light bulb?

100_6551.JPG

Last edited:
Did you intent to post a picture of it?

Searching Harbor Freight for:

LED bulb

Bulb

LED

and

Flash light

didn't reveal any square mystery bulbs.

There are many different sizes and powers (voltage and current) for high power square LED bulbs.
Here is a 10W one:

Attachments

• 10W LED.png
    10W LED.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 169
Maybe simply "square"
20200412_165248.jpg
20200412_165312.jpg

It's just an LED in a square, surface-mount package. It's not intended to be replaced.

The actual LED will probably be rated at about 3 - 3.5 V, and there may be some circuit to limit the current from the battery, but on cheap torches (flashlights in American English) the resistance of the batteries and the LED is used to limit the current, which is far from ideal.

A model number or link might give somebody a chance of answering your question, but why make it easy?

Holy smokes! In the UK a flashlight has a continuous flame? Then how can you flash it without burning your hat in front of it?

It looks like the same LED found in 120vac light bulbs they have about 20 LEDs in them.

The flash light has 3AAA batteries. The square LED must be higher current rating it makes more light than the other flashlight with 9 LEDs. Switch in these flashlights are junk they go bad and can't be fixed so I think I will use the flash light LED is an LED flasher circuit. Flashlight aluminum body does not come apart maybe I can cut end off engine tubing cutter. I can probably solder wires to back side of the reflector where it connects to the 3 batteries in the flashlight body.

100_6552.JPG

They are call COB LEDs (Chip on board) There are many types. They all seem to be made onto an aluminium plate to make cooling easier. Most have a large number of individual LED chips under the resin covering.

Les.

This is my covid-19 quarantine project I am looking for something to do while being prisoner of my own yard.

I have 7 flashlights in a bundle = 7x9=63 LEDs. I have been trying to remove the circuit board from the aluminum body it is either pressed in or glued in. Micrometer shows inside of the aluminum tube is same diameter all the way through. Out side appears to be machined DOM tubing on a modern day screw machine = CNC lathe. Has anyone removed 1 of these circuit boards from a Harbor Freight flash light I wonder what holds it in place so tight?

If I can remove all 7 circuit boards then solder them together in parallel I can make a brighter flash light using 2 D batteries. I can probably mount all 7 circuit boards on the end of my old vintage flash light orange plastic body is perfect 2D battery holder. Switch on old vintage light was replaced 25 years ago those old slider metal switches were junk. New replacement switch never fails. LOL

After testing the brightness of 7 LED light to 1 of those square COB LEDs the square LED seems to produce several times more light.

My meter shows 1 D battery produces 8 amps. 2D batteries are 24W. Just thinking out loud.

If I had only 1 of those square COB LEDs to replace the original light bulb in my old vintage light it will work better than the original incandescent bulb. About 7 or 8 years ago I ordered replacement under the counter kitchen lights they were the square COB LEDs I wonder if there are replacement LED bulbs for old vintage flash lights? YES Ebay search I found COB LED replacement 3v lights $7 each.

100_6553.JPG

Last edited:
Those multi-LED torches have a fractional step in the tube diameter - the PCB & reflector assembly is pushed in from the front with the lens window on top.

Use a screwdriver to tap around the outer edge of the pcb / contact spring from the back end and they pop apart - eg.
mini_torch.JPG
That is no re-assembled and working again, by the way.

Re. LED replacement torch bulbs; I got one for my 5 D-cell maglite, when the LED replacement to fit that first came out.
It's still got the same Duracell batteries in it that I used when I fitted the new "bulb" - they expired 1999 so that must be somewhere from 25 - 30 years ago!
(And it still works perfectly, blindingly bright. A sad reflection on the quality of newer cells really, as I've had several far newer sets of duracells start leaking in things long before they were out of date).

IMG_0844.JPG IMG_0845.JPG

Re. LED replacement torch bulbs; I got one for my 5 D-cell maglite, when the LED replacement to fit that first came out.
It's still got the same Duracell batteries in it that I used when I fitted the new "bulb" - they expired 1999 so that must be somewhere from 25 - 30 years ago!
(And it still works perfectly, blindingly bright. A sad reflection on the quality of newer cells really, as I've had several far newer sets of duracells start leaking in things long before they were out of date).

They changed the construction of them, at least for AA sizes a number of years ago now, before that they NEVER leaked - since the change they are the worst batteries for leaking you can buy. Only seems to be the AA ones though?.

You might want to think about getting 8 amps out of a D cell. Apparently you connected an ammeter right across the cell?

D Cell Data Sheet

The mini flashlights operate from 3 AAA cells. The voltage from 2 D cells will be marginal at the start and quickly be too low to illuminate the LEDs.

SmartSelect_20200413-131357_Drive.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back