Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this resistor wattage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stubie_do

Hi all a question for a Wizard.

I am trying to find out the wattage of a certain resistor that is fitted to the PCB board of a washing machine.

The resistor, which has blown, has 100R 10% written on the side. I have attached 2 images if it helps.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

If you can help it would help!

The resistor is apparently 100 ohms ±10%, and I estimate it's power rating at about 2W.

To determine the power rating exactly just measure its size and buy a power resistor that's at least as large physically.

Many thanks for the reply, I'll go and do some shopping!

hi,
If the 100R has burnt to open circuit.?? I would also check that transformer located in the centre of the lower image.

It looks as though its been cooking as well.

Right, next question, can anybody point me in the direction for one of these resistors.

I've had a look and can't seem to find any?

Did you look on Google? Digikey, among others, carries many brands.

Yeh did try Google and then Digikey and found some.

One last question, based on the measurements (using micrometer: 5.70mm x 14.30mm) it shows the resistor to be a 1 Watt and not 2W. The 2W would be to big in length. Is it safe to say that the 1 Watt one is the one. I'll be taking the risk :)

Yeh did try Google and then Digikey and found some.

One last question, based on the measurements (using micrometer: 5.70mm x 14.30mm) it shows the resistor to be a 1 Watt and not 2W. The 2W would be to big in length. Is it safe to say that the 1 Watt one is the one. I'll be taking the risk :)
It apparently is a 1W then. I was was just guessing from the estimated size in the picture. So you should be safe to replace it with another 1W.

But do you know what caused it to fail? If you don't then a new one is likely to fail also since those resistors are unlikely to fail unless they are overloaded.

It's a 2W fusible resistor, they are the same size as 1W standard resistors.

You must replace it with a 2W fusible type! They are a little hard to get you may have to go to a supplier that sells to the TV repair industry.

And yes it usually blows when there is a massive current overload caused by some other problem. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back