Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what IS this? random circuit or Microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halogrunt1234

I was tearing apart a VCR yesterday, and i found something that caught my eye. it looked like a separate PC board on IC pins, with two separate surface mount IC's on either side of the board. it appears to be painted or glossed black. I have desoldered it, and it looks VERY similar to a microcontroller (at least what I think one looks like).

on the IC on the top side of the board, i could barely make out the letters:

9L

in that exact arrangement

on the bottom IC, I could easily make out the white letters:

XRA72808K
945 240

in that exact arrangement.

could this be a microcontoller, and better yet, will I be able to use it?
the pictures of this circuit board are attached below

**broken link removed**
top view
**broken link removed**
bottom view

i have no experience with microcontrollers and I apologize in advance for acting stupid if I am

It's called a "hybrid IC", it's basically a module built on a ceramic substrate.

It's NOT a microprocessor, and it's of no use to you at all!.

Hitachi used to use them many years ago, often having two or three in a VCR.

aww.

anyway, there was another strange thing about that VCR. it had NO brand name whatsoever. inspected the whole VCR for a brand name and none was to be found. guess whoever made it was too embarassed or shy o show off that they did it or something.

I thought though that the numbering on the bottom IC looked very familiar, like i've seen that number in one of my books or something. i don't know. it would have been cool to have a free microcontroller. thank you anyways.

Halogrunt1234 said:
aww.

anyway, there was another strange thing about that VCR. it had NO brand name whatsoever. inspected the whole VCR for a brand name and none was to be found. guess whoever made it was too embarassed or shy o show off that they did it or something.

I thought though that the numbering on the bottom IC looked very familiar, like i've seen that number in one of my books or something. i don't know. it would have been cool to have a free microcontroller. thank you anyways.

Probably a rip-off design from china or similar. No name = no blame.

IMO, it is not VERY cool to get a free microcontroller. They are so cheap, they're not worth the time to de-solder them off of the board.

for you... think where u live
for me... I would desolder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back