what IS this? random circuit or Microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halogrunt1234

I was tearing apart a VCR yesterday, and i found something that caught my eye. it looked like a separate PC board on IC pins, with two separate surface mount IC's on either side of the board. it appears to be painted or glossed black. I have desoldered it, and it looks VERY similar to a microcontroller (at least what I think one looks like).

on the IC on the top side of the board, i could barely make out the letters:

9L

in that exact arrangement

on the bottom IC, I could easily make out the white letters:

XRA72808K
945 240

in that exact arrangement.

could this be a microcontoller, and better yet, will I be able to use it?
the pictures of this circuit board are attached below

**broken link removed**
top view
**broken link removed**
bottom view

i have no experience with microcontrollers and I apologize in advance for acting stupid if I am

It's called a "hybrid IC", it's basically a module built on a ceramic substrate.

It's NOT a microprocessor, and it's of no use to you at all!.

Hitachi used to use them many years ago, often having two or three in a VCR.

aww.

anyway, there was another strange thing about that VCR. it had NO brand name whatsoever. inspected the whole VCR for a brand name and none was to be found. guess whoever made it was too embarassed or shy o show off that they did it or something.

I thought though that the numbering on the bottom IC looked very familiar, like i've seen that number in one of my books or something. i don't know. it would have been cool to have a free microcontroller. thank you anyways.

Probably a rip-off design from china or similar. No name = no blame.

IMO, it is not VERY cool to get a free microcontroller. They are so cheap, they're not worth the time to de-solder them off of the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…