Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this part? Is it ferrite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlainB

Hi,

I am talking about the one in the top. The other is a 1N4004 diode for size comparison.

Well this part is not a diode and offer no resistance noticeable with my multimeter.

What is it (a ferrite?) and wy is this part used in a circuit. What is his purpose?

Thanks!

Alain

Attachments

• what_is_this_part.jpg
    what_is_this_part.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Looks like one to me.

EDIT: Oh yeah. purpose. Like mentioned, filters. I've used them for power filters for sensitive devices, like RF transceivers.

Last edited:
actually they tend to be more dissipative than inductive at their intended frequencies.
Yes. They act like lossy inductors and are used to attenuate high frequency signals in digital and RF circuits. You don't want a pure inductance for such a filter since that would tend to form resonances with any capacitance in the system.

Yes, they electrically look like a transformer with a resistor connected across the secondary and are resistive above a certain frequency.

The bottom picture shows a diode, which I identified by the cathode ring at the right hand side.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back