Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this part called??

Status
Not open for further replies.

longshot21771

I am just starting to learn more about electronics and am a late bloomer, always been interested but never took the initiative to learn like now since my job requires more repairing of certain items. Anyways I am working on a computer power supply and I removed this part and broke the end of of it and I have no clue what it is can anyone tell me so I can get another one for the power supply? The only markings on it is an M with square around it and the number 4 in one corner and 3171 one row and s ( or 5 ) 87 under that. There are supposed to be 4 prongs but I broke one accidentally. Any help would be appreciated. Here is the link to the pictures **broken link removed** Sorry about the bad quality I only had my cell available at the time. It is small part and square shaped with one side beveled and 2 prongs that connect to the power supply board on each side.

Last edited:
LM317 adjustable voltage regulator? Useless pictures...

It appears a 4 pin optocoupler!!
i don,t remember to have seen LM317 in that package of 4 pins.

Even with a cellphone a portrait mode photo is possible and it comes with better clarity.

However, longshot21771 could use a sharp knife and and carefully carve small portion above the broken pin while taking care not to break other pins, and solder a wire to get access to the broken pin, if he/she could not find a replacement and provided the device is not faulty.

Last edited:
LM317 adjustable voltage regulator? Useless pictures...

Thanks for the quick response, yes I know the pics were pretty much useless for some reason the digital camera that I use for the internet alot came up missing. I actually removed another one from a power supply to use and had no issue's removing and installing it, I learned from my mistake. Appreciate the help and once I find the camera will post better pics tonight. THANKS!!

I'll bet it's a small bridge rectifier.

Attachments

• br.jpg
    br.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 152
I am just starting to learn more about electronics and am a late bloomer, always been interested but never took the initiative to learn like now since my job requires more repairing of certain items. Anyways I am working on a computer power supply and I removed this part and broke the end of of it and I have no clue what it is can anyone tell me so I can get another one for the power supply? The only markings on it is an M with square around it and the number 4 in one corner and 3171 one row and s ( or 5 ) 87 under that. There are supposed to be 4 prongs but I broke one accidentally. Any help would be appreciated. Here is the link to the pictures **broken link removed** Sorry about the bad quality I only had my cell available at the time. It is small part and square shaped with one side beveled and 2 prongs that connect to the power supply board on each side.

Difficult and useless to guess unless you provide a clear picture ? . Keep it inverted on your scanner glass. Then cover it with white paper and then you may post here .

in a computer power supply?

Yes, but I think you're right - looks more like an optocoupler. I've seen small bridges in there as part of a secondary supply running the regulator or standby voltage, but that fuzzy image looks more like a 4-pin optocoupler.

Attachments

• opto.jpg
    opto.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 137
Yes, but I think you're right - looks more like an optocoupler. I've seen small bridges in there as part of a secondary supply running the regulator or standby voltage, but that fuzzy image looks more like a 4-pin optocoupler.
He was telling it was a square one -- perhaps whether he meant a rectangular...Generally though an opto is used in SMPS, i don't remember to haveseen in ATX power supples. they have auxiliary winding and manage.

To me it looks like a very ancient thyristor.

It has only three pins, so it can't possibly be an optocoupler or a bridge rectifier.

Last edited:

That is exactly what it looks like except it is black, and it did come from a pc power supply. I took it to a electronics guy and he said it was a optocoupler, found one just like in your pic here out of another power supply and it worked like a charm. Thanks to everyone for you help. Another question how do you test them??

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back