Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this component ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodninja

Hello everyone,

While I was disassembling a circuit I found the component shown in the attachments, is it a vaccum tube ? its a modern device so I find it strange to see those around these days.

Attachments

• Img0360.jpg
    Img0360.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 197
Don't know that it a NE2 neon lamp but it is a neon lamp. Looks a tad short to be a NE2?

Ron

Yes, it's a neon lamp or some other type of gas discharge device. If it's not being used for its light, then it may be used as a transient suppressor or high voltage regulator (neon breaks down and conducts with a low impedance, similar to a zener diode, at about 60 to 80V for example).

Attachments

• NE2 Lamp.jpg
    NE2 Lamp.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 162
Hi there,

Interestingly, the turn on characteristic of these devices means they can also be used in low frequency oscillator circuits where they actually cause the oscillation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back