Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is this component

Status
Not open for further replies.

danrogers

ive been given the task of trying to fix my girlfriends pals hair straighteners. Ive fixed some before but these look different inside, not much visible on first inspection apart from something big and yellow that im not sure of?

Attachments

• 13022010489..jpg
    13022010489..jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 249
I am betting **broken link removed**

Ron

Yep capacitor. Possibly for power factor correction.

Isn't a hair straightener just a heating element, no inductive load? A PFC capacitor makes no sense in that application...

Isn't a hair straightener just a heating element, no inductive load? A PFC capacitor makes no sense in that application...

It makes a lot of sense if it is used as capacitive resistor for a transformerless power supply.

I glanced over the hair straightener application =) Yes, the capacitor as a current limiter makes much more sense.
I saw "What is the component" and posted based on the picture.

**broken link removed**
Found the data sheet!
Carli Electronics LTD.
Metallized Polypropylene Film Cap.

I'm real glad when this happens.

Learning, Learning.

Way cool.

Edit: Thanks Ron.

Last edited:
I glanced over the hair straightener application =) Yes, the capacitor as a current limiter makes much more sense.
I saw "What is the component" and posted based on the picture.

That was my take. What is the component? Capacitor, and let it go at that. :)

Ron

The value is 330nF 275VAC, X2 rated.

thanks for clearing that up evryone! from googling i think there is a bit more than i thought to them, going to open up the other side tonight and see what i find under there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back