Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this component? a resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I am trying to tinker with my broken TFT. After opening it up I found an area of discoloured board, on the other side of the discolouration was this component, it just broke off the board easily so i'm assuming this is at least part of the problem. I am assuming it is a surface mount resistor? Can anyone tell me what size it is from the numbers on there? I have taken a resistance measurement but I get 12M ohm, i'm not sure that vthis is its broken value....

The number I can see on it are " 7.5 B " and then underneath " 20 "

Appears to be a diode in a SMA package. You can see the cathode marking stripe on the package still. Unfortunately my SMD markings database does not have any hits for "7.5". Are there any other markings on the topside of the component?

I have jusy been playing around with it and realised it was a diode myself!! Only because I measured again the resistance and it was infinite on my meter. there aren't any other markings on the component. With the component removed the display backlight flashes on for a second every couple of seconds!! I think I may be out of my league with it though, perhaps it is time for me to try and find a replacement board from compaq !!

tantilum capacitor
what colour is it? does it look like it would of been yellow/orange before being cooked?.

can you probe the pads that it was attached to to see if the pads themselves goto the power rails (buzz between pads and another capacitor)

get a pic of the surrounding parts on the board on both sides. That will help considerably.

in general, when repairing devices... the idea is not to find the damaged component, but the cause that damaged this componenet, cause you may as well relace it, then swith the device on, and it would blow again!... i agree with Ambient.. maybe a picture of the board may help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back