Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is this circuit inside a Fisher VCR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shokjok

View attachment 65117**broken link removed**While disassembling a 1987 model Fisher FVH-C950 VCR, I came across this unusual plug-in circuit. I've seen these before in solid-state television sets, and assume it's a thick-film integration module that must be replaced as a unit if and when it fails.
As for the VCR, no sooner did I insert a tape that the machine rejected it and soon afterwards it powered down itself. Rather than fix it ( given its age), I stripped it and had it recycled. Searching for datasheets on some of the components was futile.

Last edited:
You will not find data sheets.
Names: sub modules, ceramic monolith sub modules, etc.
They are little printed circuits boards, or ceramic boards, with many surface mount parts soldered on. Resistors are often printed on (painted on) and not real resistors. These were (are) used on a 1 or 2 layer large board often with through hole parts. The sub modules mostly use surface mount and may have many layers. Often used at a time when many factories could not do surface mount and could not afford multilayer boards. But the new micros came only in surface mount. Often used in power applications where the power parts are through hole only and the brains are surface mount only. They are some times dipped in the black paint you see in the picture.

They are used as a cross over between ways of making electronics. Or a way of mixing different ways in the same product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back