Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the world coming to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThermalRunaway

My friend Helen and I have been thinking about going to see a band sometime this Summer, so I was trawling through some tour dates yesterday and I almost fell off my seat.

Hey!!! I said. REO Speedwagon are playing!!! We're going, that's all there is to it.

She said... REO who?

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I said, REO Speedwagon!!! What's wrong with you woman???
I started singing "I Can't Fight this Feeling" in a hopeless attempt to bring her around, but nope it's a non starter. I went downstairs and my Sister was cooking breakfast so I said to her, hey you'd never believe it but Helen doesn't even know who REO Speedwagon are!!

She said... REO who?

What is this world coming to when people don't know who bands like REO Speedwagon are?

Brian

I've never heard of them!

I don't listen to much music anyway but if a good song's on the radio I'll sing along.

lol, i'm only 22 and I know who they are. But then again I am from the great America midwest, where they were popular.

They played the local civic center in Mankato a few years back. Don't think they sold many tickets.

I saw them at The House of Blues, in Orlando. I got in free with the opening band, Kid Ridlyn. Think it was 2002. They sounded okay, but not a pretty sight. 80's styles for young men, one 50+ performers, make-up, probably plastic surgery... Kind of scared me off going to see old bands. My band did great, it was their first big performance (mostly a bar band). Maybe I'll dig out the pictures and post some.

I've heard of them, and have probably heard a couple of songs by them, but it's not a band I would get excited about - and in the UK they have a VERY small following - just an obscure American band :D

Quick edit - they are actually named after a VERY old American car, the brand REO morphed to something else, I can't remember what? - for any fans of Robert Heinlein it's mentioned in one of his books (the series featuring the long lived Lazarus).

Last edited:
there was a man named R.E. Olds. and he made a car called the R.E.O. Speedwagon. and he went on to form oldsmobile

What is this world coming to when people don't know who bands like REO Speedwagon are?
A better place. Sorry, man, but I do know who REO Speedwagon are (sigh, I can't believe you made me say their whole name. It's like everytime I have to ask for an Egg McMuffin - you just reach a certain age where there's an indignity to saying certain things), and I can't support you on this. In fact, given your stance on prawn curry, I'm beginning to question your tastes all around. You didn't know about prawn curry, but you do know about REO Speedwagon (dang it, you did it again). I'd say get your priorities sorted. REO Spee-(nuts!), never rocked - at best they almost soft-rocked. Even for the cheezy 1980s cult factor, I'd still say there are about a hundred bands before them I'd waste a night on.

Last edited:
hehe, so my band taste is not popular then. That's ok, I can live with that :D

Actually I'm not a huge fan of them or anything, but there are a good few of their songs which I really like and, when I heard they were playing over here I thought wow that'd be brilliant to go and see.

Gotta choose something else now though because REO Speedwagon (sorry Hank) are wasted on her!

She's suggesting Snow Patrol. I can go along with that, good band, but I haven't found any UK dates yet. I'm gonna go check their website.

Brian

ThermalRunaway said:
Before your time bloody-orc. But still, it should be a crime NOT to know!!!

Brian

hi brian,
Not before my time!
Perhaps you should spell out the meaning of the R.E.O. letters?

Its from: R-ansom E-li O-lds [truck manufacturer]
Regards

Last edited:
Well I go through that often, even with my wife who's from that era of music. She's clueless on classic bands like Kansas, Supertramp, ELP, YES, and even the newer ones like White Zombie, Drowning Pool, Cold Play, etc. Just yesterday she was listening to Judas Priest on her car CD and I said "What the heck are you doing listening to Judas Priest? Do you realize who this group is?" She liked the song You Gotta Another Thing Comin' and was clueless as to who the band was and how long that song's been around!!:eek:

ThermalRunaway said:
My friend Helen and I have been thinking about going to see a band sometime this Summer, so I was trawling through some tour dates yesterday and I almost fell off my seat.

Hey!!! I said. REO Speedwagon are playing!!! We're going, that's all there is to it.

She said... REO who?

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I said, REO Speedwagon!!! What's wrong with you woman???
I started singing "I Can't Fight this Feeling" in a hopeless attempt to bring her around, but nope it's a non starter. I went downstairs and my Sister was cooking breakfast so I said to her, hey you'd never believe it but Helen doesn't even know who REO Speedwagon are!!

She said... REO who?

Brian

Love REO.. many big hits - all classics.

She said... REO who?

She said... REO who?

Brian

I like R.E.O. Speedwagon as well! They are actually pretty good. I am really disgusted with my generation... Who the hell are the Black Eyed Peas? I mean come on!? :D lol. Well, i guess time are changing, and i refuse to conform to standards. ;) I will keep my music, and let the rest of the youth melt their minds... :(

Marks256 said:
Well, i guess time are changing, and i refuse to conform to standards. ;) I will keep my music, and let the rest of the youth melt their minds... :(

ROFLMAO, Marks. That's what I have been saying for the last thirty years!:D

Marks256 said:
Who the hell are the Black Eyed Peas? I mean come on!?
This is the single most reason how the Black Eyed Peas became famous... it wasn't their music so much as it was this lovely little lass:

**broken link removed**

Is it just me but she has that kind of plastic look about her?

Meh. I agree with Hero; plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back