Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the RMS value of a 5 volt peak AC signal if it is referenced at 5V DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 5 volt peak signal will have 5/1.414= 3.53 V RMS.
What is the RMS value for the case described in the question: A 5 V peak referred from 5 V DC, which will have a positive peak of +10V and lowest point at 0 V ?

Does it make sense to go with peak/1.414?

If you get a true RMS meter and measure the signal relative to the 5V line, it will still be 3.53V.

Maybe you should post the actual question.

Mike.

If you get a true RMS meter and measure the signal relative to the 5V line, it will still be 3.53V.

Maybe you should post the actual question.

Mike.

Let me put it this way: What is the effective voltage across a terminal that contains two sources connected: A 5 V DC + a sinusoidal Voltage source of 5 V peak ? If I measure it in LTspice, I get a sine waveform that starts at 5 volt, goes upto 10 volt positive peak, all the way down to 0 volt negative peak. Now what do I call it? A 6.123 V DC as suggested by mister T in #3? So is this value that is equivalent to a 6.123 V constant ripple free DC; which is what RMS is all about?

Use this equation to find RMS value:

[LATEX]V_{RMS}=\sqrt{Vdc^2 + \frac{V_{ACpeak}^2}{2}} = \sqrt{5V^2 + \frac{5V^2}{2}} = \sqrt{ 25V + 12.5V} = \sqrt{37.5V} = 6.123V [/LATEX]

Let me put it this way: What is the effective voltage across a terminal that contains two sources connected: A 5 V DC + a sinusoidal Voltage source of 5 V peak ? If I measure it in LTspice, I get a sine waveform that starts at 5 volt, goes upto 10 volt positive peak, all the way down to 0 volt negative peak. Now what do I call it? A 6.123 V DC as suggested by mister T in #3? So is this value that is equivalent to a 6.123 V constant ripple free DC; which is what RMS is all about?
Yes, that voltage is the equivalent in heating power of 6.123V DC (only) through a resistive load.

Yes, that voltage is the equivalent in heating power of 6.123V DC (only) through a resistive load.

True if referenced from ground. However the OP stated that it should be referenced from 5V. Hence my request that the full question be posted.

Mike.

Be aware that if you measure such a waveform with a DVM, you will have to use a so-called "True RMS AC+DC" go get a value of 6.123 volts. If the meter doesn't include the DC part in the measurement, the the reading will be 3.536 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back