Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the meaning of LIST file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

Hi guys in the MPLAB in top of every new project I write list p=16F877A.
Actually what is that? For what purpose is it there? Can I ignore that?

Thanks

Ummm... You really should understand what you write. ;)
The statement "list p=16F877A" tells the assembler what PIC to assemble the code for. VERY important don't you think, since different PICs have different registers and memory mappings? Ignore it at your peril.

I believe that you could use the processor compiler directive instead, but I also believe that leaving out the list directive will disable production of the listing (*.lst) file, which can be very useful.

By the way... If you have MPLAB installed, start the IDE and go to help. Select the MPASM compiler. It'll explain all of the compiler directives and the instruction set that you may use when creating your programs.

The help is actually pretty well written and useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back