Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference? Reflective - Transflective

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodin

I am going to buy a graphical LCD display.
I can choose between these options:

BACKLIGHT TYPE OPTIONS
N=Without backlight
L=LED backlight (array)
S=LED backlight (side)
E=EL backlight
C=CCFL backlight

LCD PANEL OPTIONS
T = TN type LCD
H = HTN type LCD
Y = STN yellow-green type LCD
G = STN gray type LCD
B = STN blue type LCD
F = FSTN type LCD

PORLARIZER OPTIONS
R=Reflective
F=Transflective
M=Transmissive, Positive
N=Transmissive, Negative

1. What is the difference between LED backlight and EL backlight?
2. What PANEL OPTION should i have? What is the differences?
3. What is the difference between the different POLARIZER OPTIONS?

brodin said:
1. What is the difference between LED backlight and EL backlight?
An LED backlight is just what it says; an array of light emitting diodes (behind the display or shining in from the side) to provide light for illuminating the LCD panel. An EL backlight is an electroluminescent type which is a thin, flat sheet of a phosphor-like compound (behind the display) which is powered by a high-voltage driver circuit. It gives a very even light across LCD, but will lose some brightness over time. The CCFL is lit with a cold-cathode fluorescent tube-type lamp which also requires a high-voltage driver circuit.
brodin said:
2. What PANEL OPTION should i have? What is the differences?
I'm not too sure about some of these, but it seems that the "Y" type means a yellow-green background color of the display, while "G" will be gray and "B" will be blue. You probably will have to contact the manufacturer about the others.
brodin said:
3. What is the difference between the different POLARIZER OPTIONS
Reflective LCD's usually have a backing made of aluminum foil so that they work with available, reflected light only - they can't be backlit (illuminated from the rear).

Transflective have a backing which is made of some type of material which is somewhat reflective and can also transmit some light through it [translucent], therefore they can used with the available reflected light or they can be backlit.

Transmissives are usually clear, they have no backing, so that they can't use available, reflected light. They have to be backlit to be able to see the info being displayed. Positive type transmissive will be dark dots (or characters) on a light background, negative will be dark background with light dots or characters.

Hope this helps you.
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back