Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the difference between a sender and a sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

king.oslo

Hello there?

Something has been confusing me for a wile, and I havn't been able to figure out if there is a clear difference between a SENSOR and a SENDER.

Also, what is the difference between a digital vs analogue sensor? These terms seems a bit absurd to me.

But I would like to use the correct terminology when I talk about electronics. Thanks.

Kind regards,
Marius

A SENDER and a SENSOR can be the same. But a SENDER can be anything that sends a signal such as a telegraph sender. A SENSOR detects something such as temperature, pressure, light, etc. and generates a signal (which can be sent).

Why do the terms analogue and digital sensor seem a bit absurd to you? (Well the spelling of analogue seems a bit odd to me, but I'm a Yank). One generates an analogue signal and the other internally converts the signal to digital and sends that.

A sensor measures a physical property, and converts it to a signal: a voltage proportional to the property, or a digital value proportional to the property.
e.g. a transducer to convert temperature to a voltage (LM35), or a transducer that converts temperature to a digital output (Dallas DSxxxx)

A Sender transmits the signal from one place to another. e.g. an opamp, differential line-driver, a UART, USB device, or just a wire.

Last edited:
Dear Carl and Mike,

Please excuse the weird spelling. I am Norwegian. And thank you for your great reply.

Does this mean:

1. So, say a an automtive temperature sender is equal to a temperature sensor? In that setting, the two words are equal?
2. Does digital sensors normally send binary code. I.e. temp sensor at 43*C = 101011?
3. Are analogue sensors always a transducer with variable resistance?

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Marius

Last edited:
Does this mean:

1. So, say a an automtive temperature sender is equal to a temperature sensor? In that setting, the two words are equal?
2. Does digital sensors normally send binary code. I.e. temp sensor at 43*C = 101011?
3. Are analogue sensors always a transducer with variable resistance?
1. Yes. An automotive temperature or oil pressure sender is both.

2. It sends a binary code but it may include communication protocol bits such as with I2C.

3. No. Analogue sensors can (and often do) have active circuitry then sends an analogue voltage or current proportional to the sensed value.

The terminology is pretty flexible, I wouldn't think about it too hard as there's really not a hard line definition of where a device ceases to be a sensor and becomes a sensor, or is a module that contains both.

king.oslo,

Something has been confusing me for a wile, and I havn't been able to figure out if there is a clear difference between a SENSOR and a SENDER.

If you hit your thumb with a hammer while driving a nail, the sensor is the PAIN and the sender is the YELL.

Ratch

In the automotive arena, there is a generally accepted convention regarding the terms "sender" and "sensor".

Simply put, a "sensor" is a device that provides an input signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM) or Powertrain Control module (PCM), ans is tasked with monitoring a specific condition and providing the ECM/PCM with ongoing information regarding that condition. The ECM/PCM uses that information in formulating its control output(s) to various engine and/or powertrain devices. For example, a PCM may use a crankshaft position sensor's output to determine the triggering of the ignition control module, thus driving the timing of the spark to the spark plugs. However, the crank position sensor input to the PCM is normally also used as a factor in other calculations made by the PCM, as is the case with most of the many sensor inputs received by the PCM.

In the automotive sense, a "sender" is a device that has a direct control over its output device. Some examples would be a fuel level gauge, an oil pressure gauge, or a coolant temperature "idiot" light. In each of these examples, the output device (e.g., the gauge or the light) and its associated "sender" are usually components in discrete circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back