Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the Capacitor value to put here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

Hi guys I’m going to connect this circuit to the telephone line. Can you tell me what’s the capacitor & resistor value must used in this circuit?

Can I use a 0.1 uF 250V ?

Thanks

Attachments

• Telephone.GIF
    Telephone.GIF
    1.8 KB · Views: 172
Hai Suraj143,

Try a 0.47 /250V dc or 160V AC -- Polysterene or polycarbonate type caps.there are BOX type caps in the market. you may recover from your unused or scrap also a cap of similar type.

Sarma

Thanks a lot mvs sarma is there any relationship with the value that I use.

I'll try to place a 0.47/250V cap.But can I place a 0.1/250 V cap?

here is the picture of what I have.It's a 0.1/250 V cap.

thanks

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 197
Suraj143 said:

thanks

hi,
The 1uF cap has a capacitive reactance to the 'ring' signal frequency, 10 times lower than the 0.1uF you are considering.
Its therefore possible with a 0.1uF, that you will not drive the opto-tx hard enough to trigger the opto detector.

You could try the 0.1uF on the bench, it will not damage anything within the circuit.

Eric

Suraj143 said:

thanks

the value has to be designed for delivering requisite current into the opto 's diode. lower the cap value, less the current , the circuit can deliver( due to higher impedance- you already have a series resistor)try out experimentally as suggested by Ericgibbs.

Sarma

Thanks a lot Eric & Sarma I changed the value to 1uF/250V, little bit bigger than the 0.1uF/250V.Anyway its working very well.

Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back