Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is the brightest LED at 5ma you've used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueroomelectronics

Looking for Superbright or HE 5mm or 3mm LEDs at low current for a 16x16 LED matrix. Hoping to keep it under 12ma per LED at the 1/16 refresh rate.

**broken link removed**

I've bought quite a few LEDs from this company. Never been disappointed with the brightness. Usually need to purchase 50 pieces of an item to get the best price. Shipping isn't bad either, but you have to wait about 2 weeks.

Many very bright LEDs are just an ordinary dim one that is focussed into a narrow angle.

A good LED is bright and has a wide angle.

Hmm, I'm looking for a model # like Kingbright, Panasonic etc...
I'll order them from Digikey for now. The type used in an LED sign would be ideal.

About 10 years ago I bought Hewlett-Packard blue and green very bright LEDs with a 30 degrees angle that were made for traffic lights and pixel screens.
Then they became Agilent.
Now they have another name.
I think Digikey still sells the same ones. They are matched with codes for colour tint and brightness.

In this case the viewing angle is not needed because matrix signboards likes narrow focussed type LED's.But most important is required current other than angle to minimize the external drivers to drive the matrix display.

Gayan Soyza said:
In this case the viewing angle is not needed because matrix signboards likes narrow focussed type LED's.
Signboards that use wide-angle LEDs can be seen by many people at different angles.
Signboards with narrow-angle LEDs are seen by only a few people directly in front.
Which is best?

Viewing angle about 30 deg or below is the best. Not too much wide angle for sign boards.

Why is that?

When LED’S are placed in very closely to each other, if the LED has too much viewing angle the light covers the neighbor LEDs which is in the surrounding area. At this time display looks like smudged. It’s reducing the smoothness of the character or the sign.
Especially at night times.

Ready made LED matrix doesn’t have this trouble because each LED is separating by the mould (separators). So the light wont come to any neighbor LED’S. That’s why I always use matrix LED’s.

Home made LED matrix panels must use narrow angle LED’s.

how about these? They ship from Canada.

**broken link removed**

If that link does not work you can see the ad on the left side of www.hackedgadgets.com for them. They are all rated for 20mA, but should still be pretty bright at 12mA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back