Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the best 'noob' microcontroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPulham

I'm new to electronics and have been looking into microcontrolers/microprocessors recently. I would like to know what microprocessor is best to start with. I have seen the z80 when searching the internet and it looks a comptant processor but I is it easy to learn? What would you recommend? also, I would like to make my own serial cable/software to upload the program(s). Which would support this the best?
Many thanks in advanced, JPulham

Thanks, I'll have a look through you tutorials. Also, I have a friend who does electronics, I'll talk to him when he gets back from poland in 6 weeks :rolleyes:.
but I'll definatly look into PIC, thanks again.

The Basic Stamp is a good MCU for complete noobs. The documentation is excellent and the language is simple. Depending on your knowledge of programming, you may outgrow the Basic Stamp quickly though.

PICs and AVRs are very popular MCUs for hobby electronics. You can get a variety of sizes and capabilities and they are fairly cheap, if you plan to use a compiler.

What languages are you considering? There are BASIC compilers available for both PICs and AVRs. Personally, I use Bascom with AVR microcontrollers. There's a demo version that supports up to 4k compiled programs, which is a decent size program. It's at https://www.mcselec.com.

Basic Stamps are probably good noob one but not really cheap. Microchip PICs are really popular, widely documented and darn cheap. At least one new model /months.

I would definately suggest you those PICs. Good models to start: PIC12F683, PIC16F628A, PIC16F877A.

There's a lot of PIC compiler wich will make your life easier than programming in assembler. Sure assembler is great, compact and fast.... but also a pain to program 100% with.

Most Basic, C compiler will also allow you to place assembler in your code... not a waste of money to use a compiler. Even better, using a compiler reduce the time to market... time is money ;)

I use Melabs PicBasic PRO compiler and Hi-Tech C. I'd also tested and purchased almost every compiler available on the market but i still stick to those i mention.

Good luck, and have fun... I must warn you.. they're addictive.

Last edited:
For the best(in my opinion, of course!) selection of Basic Stamps, and PIC Microcontrollers; www.jameco.com

They also have a lot of electronic components too! I order from them whenever i need something. They have fairly good prices too!

I've been programming in C/C++ for about 5/6 years, since I was 10 so I wouldn't mind a C compiler but I have some knowledge of ASM, from research into OS Dev.
I'm looking at maybe building a series of Mobile devices, enhancing the previous in a set of tutorials, to help noobs like me :rolleyes: . What kind of speed do I need for that? What do most modern mobiles/PDAs use and how available are these speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back