Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is RS232

Status
Not open for further replies.

chagz

Can anyone please tell me what the RS232 standard is. And, if possible, I would like to know any sites I could use to research on the topic

salaam

RS-232 stands for Recommend Standard number 232 and C is the latest revision of the standard. The serial ports on most computers use a subset of the RS-232C standard. The full RS-232C standard specifies a 25-pin "D" connector of which 22 pins are used. Most of these pins are not needed for normal PC communications, and indeed, most new PCs are equipped with male D type connectors having only 9 pins.

RS232 Communication – The Basics | eXtreme Electronics

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/01/rs_232_serial_ports.pdf

What is RS-232?

There is a bit of an issue with the term RS232. As Syed stated the current standard is RS232C requires +12 -12 volt line swings and won't register anything between +3 and -3 volts as a valid signal. The standard doesn't require all pins, it only requires a TX and RX line the rest are optional.

However almost no real world devices actually produce or require RS232C compliant signals. RS232 is more modernly used as a general term used when it's simple serial data, using a TX and RX line, often at simple 0 and 5 volt logic.

The bellow link may provide more information about how this type of serial communication typically works.
Serial port - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The section about Data Parity and Stop bits explains the actual logic levels of a typical serial byte stream, the most common convention I've run across is 8N1 which is 1 start bit 8 data bits, no parity bit and 1 stop bit. The start bit is required. Some systems use more than 1 start bit or some kind of more complicated frame systems but generally at that point it's not considered RS232 anymore.

Typical RS232 logic is inverted meaning a low logic state is actually a high voltage state and a low voltage state is a high logic state.

Last edited:
Can anyone please tell me what the RS232 standard is.
Many will not include this or know this. Teletypes once used 4-20mA current loops for communication to a modem. Bell System created an interface to connect modems (communication equipment) to terminals and computers (terminal equipment). The standard used voltage rather than current for data signaling. Was limited to (if I remember) less than 50 feet. And was only intended for modem connections. Handshaking signals also permitted modem and terminal equpment to know when a connection exists, data throttling, and even a ring indicator. Standard even made half duplex or full duplex communication possibe.

Most implementations of RS-232 were kludges. For example, DEC used a modified version, combined it with XON-XOFF to do data throttling, and connected to printers. From that kludge came a nine pin (kludge) version of the 25 pin RS-232.

An old joke: RS-232 is a "non-standard standard". And survived until a clearly superior standard -USB - from Intel and many friends finally replaced it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back