Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is ripple current rating of this film capacitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hi,
What is the ripple current rating of this film capacitor? (at 50/60 Hz and 20kHz)

MAB MKP 12/400 12UF +-5% 400V AC 30000h.....

Here is its "datasheet"
Attached also is datasheet...none tell the ripple current.
(it doesnt weigh 1Kg)

Attached also is datasheet...none tell the ripple current

Attachments

• MKP_400_0612_final.pdf
    334.3 KB · Views: 233
Film capacitors don't have a ripple current rating as such; the limit is a dV/dT figure, usually volts per microsecond.

You can calculate the equivalent current in a specific application from that, the capacitor value and the signal frequency or sum of the frequency components.

For example, a present series of similar motor run style MKP have ratings around 15 - 20V per uS.

>google<
I've just found a vintage Siemens data book; see page 393 - the MKP motor caps in that are rated 10V/uS.

ps. Similar MKP motor caps, brand new, cost a lot less than that ebay one!

Film capacitors don't have a ripple current rating as such; the limit is a dV/dT figure, usually volts per microsecond.

Thanks, it'll be used in this converter attached, in LTspice
Its 30Arms of ripple current, at 20khz, but the highest V/us is about 3v/us, so it will be OK?
I thought the equivalent ripple current was VAC/Xc = 400/Xc

Xc for 12uF at 50Hz

...gives 1.5A.....so thats well below 30A, and i would have thought bad news for us?

Attachments

• HALF BRIDGE__20KHZ _High leakage L.pdf
    198.5 KB · Views: 222
  • HALF BRIDGE__20KHZ _High leakage L.asc
    19.9 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back