Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is needed? - drive 1W LEDs with an Arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, So i'm very new to the Arduino, i'm basically just learning the basics of the coding at the moment.

I have been using a DMX based system for some time to control some lighting that I use and I would like to add some more functionality by dropping the DMX and using the Arduino.

I am not looking for a complete answer here, i'd much rather play with the coding and other variables myself but I don't know if there are any existing off the shelf boards which I can use with the Arduino to drive my LEDs.

The setup usually is x6 Red, x6 Green, x6 Blue & x6 White 1W (I may even start using 3W) star board mounted LEDs. The ones I use at the moment in general have a Vf of 30.-3.4 and If of 280mA Except the Red which have a Vf of 2.0-2.6.

I want to run each string of x6 from a single output of the Arduino and have the ability to use PWM.

I have used step down current regulating buck converters as LED drivers in the past like this one:

**broken link removed**

but this isn't going to work with PWM.

Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks Mike, I've checked them out and they are available to buy here in the UK easily. One thing i'm not sure about is that the BuckPuck is capable of driving the LEDs from a source below the forward voltage of the LEDs. I am not sure how to setup something like this with the Arduino output, if say I have x6 280mA LEDs in series from a single Arduino output I wouldn't be able to connect the BuckPuck directly to the output would I? Sorry I am very rusty with this! Would I use a transistor setup? or something else? I am assuming the load on the Arduino would be too much without something there.

Thanks

the buckpuck's are nice, wouldn't you would hook up the buckpuck's power to the same supply as your Arduino?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back