Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is it worth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

visitor1

My dad has a bunch of electronic equipment that he sadly can no longer make use of. Since I am the mechanical one in the family I really have now idea what any of this stuff is worth. I hope this is the right place to ask - if not any suggestions on a better forum?

Here is what he has - any idea what it is worth if anything?? We don't want to just through it out.

Thanks for the help.

Tektronix:
549 storage oscilloscope
561A oscilloscope
067-502 standard amplitude calibrator
model 45A

HP:
200CD wide range oscillator
427A voltmeter
410B voltmeter
model 403B
241A oscillator
220A frequency oscillator

EICO:
950B resistance/cap. bridge
1030 power supply

Beckman Industrial
FG2 A function generator

Simpson
712 - 200 mHz counter

HeathKit:
IG-57A sweep generator
IG-5257 sweep generator
impedance bridge

Fairchild:
model 766 H/F

General Radio
650-A impedance bridge

visitor1 said:
My dad has a bunch of electronic equipment that he sadly can no longer make use of. Since I am the mechanical one in the family I really have now idea what any of this stuff is worth. I hope this is the right place to ask - if not any suggestions on a better forum?

Here is what he has - any idea what it is worth if anything?? We don't want to just through it out.

Thanks for the help.

Tektronix:
549 storage oscilloscope
561A oscilloscope
067-502 standard amplitude calibrator
model 45A

HP:
200CD wide range oscillator
427A voltmeter
410B voltmeter
model 403B
241A oscillator
220A frequency oscillator

EICO:
950B resistance/cap. bridge
1030 power supply

Beckman Industrial
FG2 A function generator

Simpson
712 - 200 mHz counter

HeathKit:
IG-57A sweep generator
IG-5257 sweep generator
impedance bridge

Fairchild:
model 766 H/F

General Radio
650-A impedance bridge

If this equipment is in good condition, it can be worth some money. Dont throw it out! Some of it sounds old but there are companies who buy/sell used test equpiment. You might want to approach them with your list (google for it).

Alternatively, put it all up on ebay. Some old buzzer out there probably wants something in your list (if it's still working). Anyways, it sounds to me like alot of still useful equipment (scopes, counter, bridges & func generator anyways)

I'll give you $50 for the lot... just kidding.

A lot of that stuff is still pretty useful, if it works. That storage scope might fetch you some good money, working ones are hard to find and for some reason they don't build them any more, that I've seen.

Dngrsone said:
I'll give you $50 for the lot... just kidding.

A lot of that stuff is still pretty useful, if it works. That storage scope might fetch you some good money, working ones are hard to find and for some reason they don't build them any more, that I've seen.

There are hundreds of different storage scopes scopes available these days, but they are digital, not analogue - digital has massive advantages for a storage scope, and provides better performance at much less cost. I wouldn't have thought anyone makes the old analogue ones any more?.

I've just bought myself a new DSO off Ebay as it happens. I've bought myself the Tektronix TDS3032B model.

If I were you I'd put some of the stuff up on auction at Ebay. It's also worth keeping an eye on Ebay for items similar to your Dad's so that you can watch them and get a feel for what they go for. If you can confirm that the equipment is working you're likely to get a lot more for it than if you're unable to confirm them as working. If you're only able to power them on and not confirm them as working any further than that, it might be better if you offer a 7-day return service whereby if the equipment DOES turn out to be faulty the buyer is able to return it to you in exchange for a refund (buyer meets distribution costs of course). That way people are likely to feel a lot more comfortable in buying the equipment.

Let us know how you get on

Brian

It would also help if you had your location filled in (as most posters in this thread have! - with the exception of one idiot who's trying to be clever!), that way we would know roughly where you are (at least the country). In that case it's possible there might be a member near you who could be interested in buying the stuff, and he could PM you to check more exact address details.

Nigel, if you are referring to me, then I'm not actually an idiot. Sure I might act like one from time to time, but I am not an idiot.

I just gave away a Tektronix: 549 storage oscilloscope, Complete with Probes and Manuals, Totally for Free.

And looking at your list, most of it is Outdated equipment.

But there are hobbiests out there that can't afford a lot.
And its a Shame to see useable equipment Thrown out.

Try selling it on Ebay.

It takes about $50,000-worth of digital scope to outperform a Tektronix 7834 analog storage scope for a single-shot event. Single-shot events have always been the weakest area of DSOs. They can take enough samples of recurrent events to flesh out a waveform, but a single-shot event, especially a step signal, takes a mighty high sample rate. I've used lots of digital scopes, but if I have to pick one, I'll still stick to a good, lab-grade analog model, especially if you compare price to performance.

The equipment is old, but quite useful. ebay is generally the mode to get rid of it, but you can get burned that way, too. You have to make sure that the buyer pays the shipping on that 549!

Dean

One other option, if you know of any amateur radio stores or clubs, etc in your area, it may be a good place to offer the equipment for sale, if they would let you post a listing. The GR bridge, and some of the other gear may be of interest to someone in this hobby. The problem with some of the equipment, like the GR and the Tek gear, is that it is on the large/heavy side and can be costly to ship.

mstechca said:
Nigel, if you are referring to me, then I'm not actually an idiot. Sure I might act like one from time to time, but I am not an idiot.

I wasn't?, I was referring to 'Dngrsone' who posted in this thread, but it applies to YOU as well!. Many questions and answers in these forums are highly location specific - and entering such a stupid 'location' as your's rather points to you being an 'idiot'!.

If the cap fits?.

visitor - you might try selling the stuff at a local hamfest - a gathering of amateur radio operators. American Radio Relay League (ARRL) website has a "hamfests" button - click on that. A little different approach - look up amateur radio clubs in your area (see ARRL website) and contact an officer. They might list the equipment for you. Just some thoughts.

I'd like to know more about the impedance bridges - IM me if you would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back