Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is impedance ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yusuf

Hello friends what is impedance ! I have heard many times in electronics.. Analogue and digital both... And what is the use of impedance !
Thanks.

Hello friends what is impedance ! I have heard many times in electronics.. Analogue and digital both... And what is the use of impedance !
Thanks.

Look here for definition.
**broken link removed**

All these queries can be answered by Googling.

Thanks.

In a nutshell, resistance is the ability of a circuit to resist current in a circuit (Ohms Law). Impedance adds extras (like inductance and capacitance). These are frequency dependant components. Think Loudspeakers that have both a resistive component (constant due to the copper wire) and a frequency dependant component (inductive reactance becuase of the coil in the cone). Combined together they are known as impedance at a specific frequency.
In a loud speaker at low frequencies, the resistance dominates the equation, but at higher audio frequencies the inductance comes in to account and the overall components of impedance include inductance.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Impedance (symbol Z) is a measure of the overall opposition of a
circuit to current, in other words: how much the circuit impedes
the flow of current. It is like resistance, but it also takes into
account the effects of capacitance and inductance. Impedance is
measured in ohms, symbol .
Impedance is more complex than resistance because the effects
of capacitance and inductance vary with the frequency of the
current passing through the circuit and this means impedance
varies with frequency! The effect of resistance is constant
regardless of frequency.

Yusuf, you have posted several 'what is....' questions. It would be quicker for you to just Google for answers and you would get a wider set of definitions.

Thanks for your reply.. But why the cmos ic pins contains impedance..

Last edited:
Hello friends what is impedance !
... And what is the use of impedance !

Well if heaps of people are trying to get through a door into a nightclub, and there is a big bouncer at the door that only lets a few people through each hour...

The bouncer is "impedance". ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back