Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is discrete components?

Status
Not open for further replies.

egr551

Hello All:
I am new on discrete components project? I read alot of things in this forum, but I have no clue about it. could anyone please give some idea about descrete components. thank you

Discrete components usually refers to single transistors, diodes, Triacs, SCRs: anything that is made from silicon but isnt an Integrated Circuit.

If you want more info you need to ask a more specific question.

Brent

bmcculla:
I am ASIC guy, but I got laid off. Now I have a company wants to interview me, but it requires me have to know discrete components that I have no clue about it. now I am getting better. do you have any circuit please email for me. thank you
EGR

hi egr551 im sorry to hear about your job. im very interested in ASICs.

about your question........

in high power application the devices have to deliver a large amount of power. for example the output stage of a audio amplifier has to deliver huge amounts of power to the speaker to convert electrical signals into sound. now if the device has to deliver a huge amount of power it also has to be capable of dissipating huge amounts of power. in real systems the power dissipated by a semiconductor is never zero and it becomes quite large in high power applications like audio amplifiers, motor drivers. these high power devices need large surfaces to disspate that power into the atmosphere. the larger the surface area of a device, the more cool it is. so high power devices cant be integrated with one another because each device will be dissipating a lot of power and the total amount of power dissipated will be large and your circuit will be burnt out. so power devices are kept discrete and they have larger surface areas.

semiconductor technology is advancing by the day. scientists are finding ways to reduce the power dissipated by semiconductors. so with time u will see these devices in the integrate form too

i hope that helps

egr551 said:
bmcculla:
I am ASIC guy, but I got laid off. Now I have a company wants to interview me, but it requires me have to know discrete components that I have no clue about it. now I am getting better. do you have any circuit please email for me. thank you
EGR

I don't wish to be rude, but how could you have been involved in ASIC's without at least a very basic electronics knowledge?.

A discrete component is simply any component not inside an IC, you don't need any specific circuit - any circuit is going to use discrete components, even IC designs - resistors, decoupling capacitors, diodes etc.

If you truely don't know this, I doubt you've got any chance of a job in Electronics!. Any interview question is simply going to stump you!.

Nigel Goodwin

Thank you for all your help. I did understand about basis electronic. for example; Biasing the BJT for discrete-circuit desin, MOSFET. I learned this stuff from "icroelectronic Circuit from Sedra/Smith", but I never use in my career. my previous that I deal 100% digital design such as verilog and VHDL. I never touch analog now I have a chance to deal with it. but now I got it. thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back