Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is best programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlandicini1036

I am just getting into programming microcontrollers and just want to ask what the best and easiest in someone's opinion programmer to purchase. I am going to use it to program led light flash patterns and im not sure what microcontrollers I will be using soo what should i purchase i will be using no more then 6 1w leds in parallel...I am gonna purcahse the programmer this week and just wanted someones opinion on what to get and what microcontrollers are the best and easiest for what i want to do...

IMO, PIC16F877As or PIC16F876As are good for beginners. Any type of programmers specifically used to program PICs are good enough. :)
Here is a good site: winpicprog.co.uk to get you started.

I personally use the PICKit2 and ICD2, Never had an issue with either, the PICKit2 comes as a starter pack with a 16f chip on a demo board, very handy for beginners!
You can get the PICDEM 2 for example which the ICD2 plugs into and gives you a further range of toys to play with including serial, LCD, temperature, sound, clock, etc.

All very neatly packaged stuff!

The ICD allows you to debug your code within your circuit, but doesn't come with a 5/6 pin SIL for ICSP, you will need a adaptor for the SIL header, the ICD2 uses a RJ11 style header.

Wilksey

A 6pin to 5pin SIL connector is available from Talking Electronics for $2.50 to allow In Circuit Programming

Last edited:
I use a junebug now and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm told it can't program 3.3v chips without adaptation, but it has a lot of onboard features to help you prototype and learn and works quite well. If you want to learn to solder it's a good kit for that too. If not you might want to buy an assembled one or go with something else. The main reason I suggest it to a begginner, having just been a beginner myself is the excellent support and availible tutorials specifically for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back