Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is an Amp/hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

I have been wondering lately, what is an Amp/Hour? I am talking about batteries. You hear that cirtain batteries have a 6mA/h, which would be a six miliamp hour, correct?

I am just wondering what an a/h is?

One amp/hour is 1A for 1 hour, but batteries aren't as simple as that. If you overload a battery so much that its charge is all used up in only 1 hour then it will get hot and waste a lot of power. So batteries are rated at a lower current for 5 hours or for 10 hours.

Here's the explaination from Wikipedia...

"An ampere-hour (abbreviated as A·h) is a unit of electric charge. Although it is not a direct measure of the energy in a battery (like the joule (J) or watt-hour (W·h)), it is a common measurement of how long a battery will last (or in the case of a rechargeable battery, how long it will last when fully charged).

One ampere-hour is equal to 3600 coulombs (ampere-seconds), and indicates the amount of electric charge that passes either terminal of the battery when it provides one ampere of current flow for one hour. The commonly seen milliampere-hour (mA·h) is equal to 3.6 coulombs.

However, in reality, the available capacity of a battery depends on the rate at which it is discharged. If a battery is discharged at a relatively high rate, the available capacity will be lower than expected. Therefore, a battery rated at 100 A·h (360000 coulombs) will deliver 20 A (20 coulombs per second) over a 5 hour period, but if it is instead discharged at 50 A (50 coulombs per second), it will run out of charge before the theoretically expected 2 hours. For this reason, a battery capacity rating is always related to an expected discharge time, which is typically 5 or 20 hours.

The relationship between current, discharge time and capacity is expressed by Peukert's law.

In general, the higher the ampere-hour rating, the longer the battery will last for a certain device. Installing batteries with different A·h ratings will not affect the operation of a device rated for a specific voltage."

Marks256 said:
I have been wondering lately, what is an Amp/Hour? I am talking about batteries. You hear that cirtain batteries have a 6mA/h, which would be a six miliamp hour, correct?

I am just wondering what an a/h is?
It is Amp Hour not Amp/Hour.

Amp/Hour implies Amps per hour (like miles per hour), ie. Amps divided by Hours.

Amp Hour is the current in Amps multiplied by the time in Hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back