Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a "Modulator"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Modulation is a process in which a signal (usually with the information) is added to a carrier signal. For instance, in AM radio, you have a carrier at some frequncy. You take your modulating signal use that to alter the amplitude of the carrier.

In another post I mentioned modulating the light output of a pair of LEDs such that they could be distinguished when their light was received by a detector. Let me provide a brief explanation of how that might work (which is exactly how I have done this in the past).

Basically, an LED has some finite time that it takes to switch on and off. The blue LEDs I used seemed to work to about 100MHz. However, the led is only linear in some part of that range. So I bias the LED with a DC supply that is just at the lower end of the linearity of the LED. Atop that DC signal I add a modulating signal of lets say 10kHz. Now the LED is effectively going bright/dim at 10kHz. I could use a receiver to obtain this light signal and filter out the DC, leaving only the 10kHz signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back