Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a good LED light to grow plants from my work desk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might take a look into OSRAM.

A plant light should have some percentage of UV light for optimum growth of plants.

There are cheap UV-LEDs on the market emitting blueish (to purple) light with some UV light in the range of 400nm (not causing eye damage if not looked into the source for an extended time).

You could build a cluster of those allowing your plants to grow nicely.

Boncuk

A USB port can typically only supply 250-500mA. That's only 1.25-2.5 Watts. Not much light to give those plants.

You should consider a cheap mains-powered lamp instead.

A USB port can typically only supply 250-500mA. That's only 1.25-2.5 Watts. Not much light to give those plants.

You should consider a cheap mains-powered lamp instead.

An UV-LED emitting at 340nm wave length has a power consumption of 25mW and will suffice for an unrepairable eye damage (retina). Daylight can be produced by any means of lamps. What makes plants grow and produce chlorophyl is UV light. It won't be available in closed rooms.

You might encounter typical plant lights in office buildings where some offices never "see" sunlight.

You will notice that their reflected light off white clothing looks blue to violet.

Boncuk

Last edited:
I don't know much about plants but LEDs have been supporting photosynthetic reef corals for years now. For plants, the appropriate emitter is most likely a warm white (2500-3500K) or better, "high CRI".

Just buy a "PAR30" or "PAR38" screw-in LED bulb and put it in a desk lamp. Make sure the desk lamp doesn't have a shade, those PAR bulbs must be open to the air for cooling or they cook themselves to death.

You might take a look into OSRAM.

A plant light should have some percentage of UV light for optimum growth of plants.

There are cheap UV-LEDs on the market emitting blueish (to purple) light with some UV light in the range of 400nm (not causing eye damage if not looked into the source for an extended time).

You could build a cluster of those allowing your plants to grow nicely.

Boncuk

Many thanks for any help

How about this directional LED down light?

Hi folks, I’m new here and looking for some dimmable LED down lights for inside application , just found one from LEDs site

http://www.xledpanellights.com/directional-12x1w-led-downlight-driver-included-p-233.html

Could you give me some suggestion about this item? I would appreciate any ideas or feedback.

The features is as following:

Diameter: DIA.132.5mm (5.22 in.)
Depth: 90mm (3.54 in.)
Open Hole:DIA.114mm(4.49 in.)
Beam Angle: 30°/ 60°
Available Colors: Pure White (5500-7000K) and warm white (2700-3500K)
1W EPISTART: 80-120LM/LED
Power Consumption: 12W (12*1W)
Input Voltage: AC 90-130V/AC 200-240V
UV or IR radiation: None
Lifespan: 50,000+ hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back