Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a good introduction to AVR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoMach

I am interested in programming AVR microcontrollers, and using sed devices for basic input output systems. I have experience with Basic language, and intel Assembly language.
What books would you suggest to read as an introduction to AVR programming and component interfacing.

Thanks

Well if your willing to learn how to program in the C language the Arduino project is one of the least expensive, best supported platforms going. All open source free software and lots of vendors selling clones and add on stuff.
There is a great user's forum that helps and welcomes newcomers.

Arduino - HomePage

not my topic but would like some info also...

Is the Arduino a bootloader on a ATMEL Chip? Would i still be able to do all the same stuff as if i was programming a normal ATMEL chip?

I ask because the "Arduino Duemilanove" aka "Arduino USB Board" is only about $40 and its USB programmable which leads me to believe that its Bootloader. Its fine and all but how would i program another ATMEL chip with that bootloader if i dont own a programmer?

Is the Arduino a bootloader on a ATMEL Chip?
Yes, with a C-like language. It's kind of like the PICAxe, except open-source and C-like instead of BASIC.

Would i still be able to do all the same stuff as if i was programming a normal ATMEL chip?
Kinda, but maybe not as flexible or as fast.

Its fine and all but how would i program another ATMEL chip with that bootloader if I don't own a programmer?
You wouldn't, unless it was also an Arduino.

Then i would suggest the "AVR Dragon" even tho i have not used it it seems to be a good buy. $50/ If you are cash limited then check out this:
USBASP AVR USB ISP Programmer Lite: **broken link removed**

The only thing is thats its can only program ISP which isnt bad at all since most can use that. I think that would also be a nice inexpensive start. All you need is a Chip.

Even tho i dont use AVR (YET!) i would get that or the dragon and some ATtinyXX to start with.

Forgot to mention its $15.48 for the "USBASP AVR USB ISP Programmer Lite"

Even how to make em:
fischl.de - USBasp - USB programmer for Atmel AVR controllers

Last edited:
not my topic but would like some info also...

Is the Arduino a bootloader on a ATMEL Chip? Would i still be able to do all the same stuff as if i was programming a normal ATMEL chip?

I ask because the "Arduino Duemilanove" aka "Arduino USB Board" is only about $40 and its USB programmable which leads me to believe that its Bootloader. Its fine and all but how would i program another ATMEL chip with that bootloader if i dont own a programmer?

Well there is a couple of routes one can take. Several vendors sell the AVR chip (168P) with the Arduino bootloader preburned for about $1 above the blank chip proce. Also there are several ways to burn the bootloader program into a blank chip via the Arduino IDE. It supports several programmer including a simple PC parallel port or there is even a Arduino program to turn the Duemilanove board into a serial programmer and burn the bootloader into a external chip mounted on a breadboard via standard ICSP pin setup.

Lefty

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back