• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is a ballast?

billybob

I have a Home Depot (ballast) at home which outputs high voltage for a fluorescent lamp, but apparently there is another ballast, the kind for a Tesla coil. There are probably more definitions for a ballast. What is a ballast’s purpose in a Tesla coil and can I build one out of microwave oven caps like styropyro did on his Tesla coil?
Thank you,
Ben

MaxHeadRoom78

Ballast: To limit and stabilize.
In electrical circuits it generally does just that.
Particularly in the older florescent's that have a heavy wound ballast unit.
Max.

MacIntoshCZ

I have a Home Depot (ballast) at home which outputs high voltage for a fluorescent lamp, but apparently there is another ballast, the kind for a Tesla coil. There are probably more definitions for a ballast. What is a ballast’s purpose in a Tesla coil and can I build one out of microwave oven caps like styropyro did on his Tesla coil?
Thank you,
Ben
I would reccomend you for begining to stay under 50V DC on primary. After some experience you can play with mains.

Diver300

Most Helpful Member
The ballast in a fluorescent lamp has two jobs. One is to limit the current once the lamp turns on. The lamp's impedance at that point is quite low so an impedance in series is needed to limit the current.

The second job is to provide a high voltage pulse to ionise mercury vapour to turn the lamp on. The starter will short out when the lamp is turned on, and a current flows, limited by the ballast. When the starter goes open circuit, in about 1 seconds after turn-on, there is a voltage surge produced by the ballast and the rate of change of current. That voltage surge is what ionises the mercury vapour.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles