Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is 1uH, 0.1uH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suraj143

I see in many RF circuits it’s having a coil named with 1uH or 0.1uH.what is that?
So if I have 1uH in the diagram so how can I calculate that value? I have only the coil.
How do I place that?
How many turns in that?

The H stands for Henry which is the inductance value of the coil.
The value depends upon the amount of turns in the coil, the wire diameter, and the core material.
For a particular application you can wind a coil exactly the same or buy one of the value required.

The µ stands for micro or 1/1,000,000 th of.

Thanks RODALCO.

Now I have 1uH in the diagram. So how can I make that?
Here there’s no place to buy. I have the coil. (18SWG)

Its in a transmitter circuit.I coudn't post it because it was in a book.And in another circuit I saw there is a 1uH coil.It's in a piezo circuit.

How can I make that coil to 1uH.Somebody pls help me.

There are endless transmitter circuits on here, you just need a few turns of thick wire around a pencil - accurate values are pointless, because stray capacitance and inductance make such a big difference.

Hi Suraj143,

Nigel meant enamelled copper wire when he said 'wire'. then you have to clear the enamel at the ends of the coil to be able to solder it. Perhaps you may be already aware of it.

Last edited:
mvs sarma said:
Hi Suraj143,

Nigel meant enamelled copper wire when he said 'wire'. then you have to clear the enamel at the ends of the coil to be able to solder it. Perhpas you may be already aware of it.

Actually I've always used bare copper wire, half a dozen turns round a pencil spaced slightly apart. I get the wire either from mains electrical wiring, or the inner core from coaxial TV cable.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Actually I've always used bare copper wire, half a dozen turns round a pencil spaced slightly apart. I get the wire either from mains electrical wiring, or the inner core from coaxial TV cable.

geez, talk about scrimping to save a penny! :D If all one does is make air-cored inductors then its fine. The enameled stuff is nice in case you ever have to wrap it around some ferrite material (which is somewhat conductive)

Optikon said:
geez, talk about scrimping to save a penny! :D

People in Yorkshire are renowned for been mean, and North Derbyshire borders on South Yorkshire! :D

But why waste time messing about cleaning enamel off, when it's not needed in the first place?.

Nigel Goodwin said:

That is fine,Sir. I only feared when one does close winding , possibly may land in trouble due to posible shorts-- thisvery doubt forced me to adda comment- which could avert further discussion on the iisue.

Unless the windings are significantly spaced, even a good bump could cause direct contact.. Enameled wire is hardly expensive, and issolates the windings that much more.

lord loh. said:
There are some MH coils available in the market. These look like resistors bur are coils.... I never figured whether these were millihenries or microhenries...

'm' is milli, 'u' is micro (the greek letter 'mu') - a common value of such RF chokes is 1mH.

Nigel Goodwin said:
There are endless transmitter circuits on here, you just need a few turns of thick wire around a pencil - accurate values are pointless, because stray capacitance and inductance make such a big difference.
I agree, but there's a large difference between a 100nH coil and a 1:mu:H, you at least need to be somewhere near the value. a good website which can help you to calculate the coil dimensions.

Anyway who said it's RF?

He said:
Suraj143 said:
It's in a piezo circuit.
Could he be talking about ultrasound?

But 1:mu:H is pretty small for ultrasonic frequencies.

Hero999 said:
I agree, but there's a large difference between a 100nH coil and a 1:mu:H, you at least need to be somewhere near the value. a good website which can help you to calculate the coil dimensions.

Anyway who said it's RF?

He said:

Could he be talking about ultrasound?

But 1:mu:H is pretty small for ultrasonic frequencies.

Mr Suraj has in his ist letter spoke about FR coils. and in his subsequent letter,he said "Its in a transmitter circuit.I coudn't post it because it was in a book.And in another circuit I saw there is a 1uH coil.It's in a piezo circuit."
the clear mention of RF in his 1st post repated with Transmittercircuit-- it is evident he was seeking info on rf coils....

Perhaps he might have meant Ultrasonic he might use higher cap values=

at this juncture Nigels reference to transmitter circiuts is very proper , I feel

It could be an ultrasound transmitter. :D

I think he's such a nube that he probably doesn't really know. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back