Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what happened to 4pyros?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow a funded place!! Thats near impossible to get! Ages ago talking to dad he said it dosnt matter how good you write a CV if the references dont back up what you say, so I figure if they went and got funding (never easy) and offered her the place straight away she must be good.
When the old man did some uni stuff he always skipped most the CV pages and just called the references up, I also know that when he handled a budget they only funded the best of the best to stop them going elsewhere. Warwick is a typical 'Old School' uni, dad did alot there and stills says they are the only uni that make Botany students line the leaves up lol.
I might give York a call and see if they fancy outreaching a new fractionating column to me :D

Wow a funded place!! Thats near impossible to get!

Not really, there are plenty of funded Phd places - certainly in Chemistry anyway :D

One part of her project requires going down to the Neutron source at ISIS (near Oxford) to run experiments, as a Phd student this is free and even includes free travel, free food and free accommodation - if the people providing her funding had to pay, it would cost them £18,000 per day - so it's VERY cost effective to fund a Phd student and get them to do your research and experiments for you. Unfortunately the government have currently shut it down, so no trips there at the moment - although she's been trying to get extra funding to go one of the other Neutron sources elsewhere (there are only a tiny handful worldwide).

There is one at CERN ;) and a couple of other Gizmo's I wouldnt mind having a tinkering with. Must be a shortage of decent Chemists, I know most funding for research has been cut to the bone. Dads last big job was vaccine related and they had to cut 4 post grad students, its only cost effective if your phd student can do the work ;). I take my hat off to her, having seen the other side (dad grumbling about them) not all phd students are worth £1,800 a year, let alone a day :D.
I would love to ask her to explain how hilberts space relates to valence theory and orbitals.
Its a real head mess, Sunday I get to try and do potassium from Magnesium again. I will get it to work this time!! Also need to find a way to get rid of some TATP, I made too much and dont want it hanging around.

HMMmmm I think I would only play with the ones near the directors office, I figure the thing furthest from his office is probably the most dangerous ;). Finally Oxford has a theme park worth visiting :D.
If she needs a hand send my email address! I will bring my own soldering iron!!! You wouldnt want there electric bill lol
My school bitches over the cost of 1% resistors if we ask for any for projects, not that we do many now. Mostly if you want to do practical work you have to pay for it :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back