Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What good is Digital Input if sampled once every 10 sec?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nrets

The ioBridge has 4 digital inputs, but they can only be sampled once every 10 seconds because that is how often the iobridge sends a signal to the router. To me, it then seems that the only use for these inputs would be to determine if something was on or off. I was hoping I could expand them for data transfer. Is it still possible somehow? What if I wanted to send 8 bits of data down the line, but if it's sampling once every 10 seconds, it's only going to catch one of the bits.

I find it hard to believe that the only purpose of the digital input would be to check if the pin was on or off. Maybe someone can fill me on what I might be missing.

Documentation:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/03/IO-204_manual-1.pdf

EDIT: haha, I can get a whopping 4 bits of data if I use all 4 pins. That's probably the wrong approach though...

Last edited:
Nrets you misread the manual. It can only be set to automatically push data every 10 seconds, you can poll it as fast as you want. I would quiet honestly find a a better module than this, there has to be better products out there for the price.

The product has worked well for my purposes. Most the sensors for it I am making myself. I added an IR sensor circuit a few nights ago and it's working wonderfully. I'm using PHP scripts on my server to store/process/and present data.

I'll go back and read the manual again to see how I can retrieve digital data, or I'll just experiment with it some. Right now I have a plane to catch though.

Thanks,

-Nrets

Last edited:
The ioBridge has 4 digital inputs, but they can only be sampled once every 10 seconds because that is how often the iobridge sends a signal to the router. To me, it then seems that the only use for these inputs would be to determine if something was on or off. I was hoping I could expand them for data transfer. Is it still possible somehow? What if I wanted to send 8 bits of data down the line, but if it's sampling once every 10 seconds, it's only going to catch one of the bits.

I find it hard to believe that the only purpose of the digital input would be to check if the pin was on or off. Maybe someone can fill me on what I might be missing.

Documentation:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/03/IO-204_manual-2.pdf

EDIT: haha, I can get a whopping 4 bits of data if I use all 4 pins. That's probably the wrong approach though...

oy... it depends on how fast your signal is changing.

In a battery powered systems you would run serial data stream of as much as data as you want every ten seconds. you do not even have to worry about synchonization since the recieving UART will wake the processor on reciept of a character. If you want to save even more power send a dummy character and let an interrupt pin wake the reciever and wait for it to come online before sending the real data.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back