Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What exactly is a Regulated Stablised Power Supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

avinsinanan

Hi,

Ok i know this sounds like a very easy question, but jus please take a read.

A Regulated Stablised Power Supply

a) Keeps the Voltage stable over a wide range of currents
b) Keeps the Current stable over a wide range of volatges
c) Keeps the power constant by changing the current and voltage to suit.

I was doing a multiple choice past paper and I this question had me thinking and reading a lot.

Could anyone please clear this up for me?

Thanks

Avin Sinanan

I'm no electro-wiz, but that's what I think:
Regulated Stabilized power supply should supply a constant voltage, no matter what current is drawn, so I would choose a...
But still I think we need Nigel's supervision on this one...
The terms regulated stabilized just "unstabilized" me...

I know that regulators just "clamp" voltages so that there's no overshoot, or goin' outside a specific range. And stabilizers, from the "house appliance", it should provide constant output... I really think that it's answer a)

A Regulated Stablised Power Supply
I would have thought "Regulated" and "Stablised" meant the same thing here ... ?

a) Keeps the Voltage stable over a wide range of currents
Constant voltage supply - the common case
b) Keeps the Current stable over a wide range of volatges
Constant current source - still needs a regulator - just controlling a different degree of freedom. Industry uses these by the million but they are 'normally' referred to as 'current sources' rather than supplies.
c) Keeps the power constant by changing the current and voltage to suit.
Is this actually feasable? isn't this an over-controlled system?

I agree with Nigel that answer (a) is the one they will be expecting but I see your point - another poorly worded exam question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back