Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What equipment should i buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EXR

Hi there everyone

i posted a while back asking if anyone here would be interested in repairing some PA and guitar amplifiers for me - paid work of course - but got no response.

So, after years of building up a quantity of broken equipment i have decided to teach myself how to fix them! I got myself a breadboard and some basic components from ebay and have been experimenting a bit.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a list of equipment i should buy that would enable me to do the work i need to do.
for example do i need a signal generator? oscilloscope? what other bits and bobs? any help would be appreciated.

My first real project will be a Carlsboro Marlin 150W PA top - from the 1980s.

Thanks in advance

Mike

For Audio here is what I would start with:
1. High Quality DMM (Fluke, etc),
2. Low-distortion 20 to 200KHz Audio Oscillator,
3. Two channel 10 or 20MHz analog oscilloscope,
4. Adjustable, current-limited Lab Power supply.

Note, you can build 2 and 4.

Last edited:
Mike, if you run into problems with your first couple amps. Let me know, I would be happy to do some of your service work. I restore radios for late 60's and early 70's muscle cars.

Bob (rwcurranjr@sbcglobal.net)

My first real project will be a Carlsboro Marlin 150W PA top - from the 1980s.

Simple things to mend - you really only need a multimeter, a scope is VERY nice to have, but you're unlikely to need it on such a simple job.

No need to buy an expensive Fluke meter, a cheap one is just as good for almost all uses - it might not last as long, but you can buy a lot of cheap meters for the cost of a Fluke one.

Carlsboro gear is usually decent to work on, well designed and well made - it's a great shame they have recently gone bust :(

They were made not far from me, just over the border in Nottinghamshire - there was a nice forum that had plenty of tips about faults, worth having a look for.

ya, a soldering iron, an oscilloscope, and a multimeter should be some of the things you need. you might need more, depending on what exactly you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back