Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What Driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingdom Man

What can I use as a switching out output driver for about 10amps. I was thinking of using a 555 timer to trigger the driver, if this question makes sense, any help is greatly appreciated! I am new to electronics design, but am eager to learn.

A decent power mosfet will handle 10 amps easily.

What is the load?
What is the voltage?

10-200hz is not a duty cycle it's a frequency.
That aside just select a power mosfet that can handle 10 amps, a 555 should be able to drive the gate of a fet easily.

there are a number of circuits online on 555 based "things like this" .. if you are trying to use the 555 to just turn on/off the mosfet (and the load) .. then ... whatever .... but if you are running the 555 at a frequency: a square wave... turning the mosfet on-off-on "khz" times a second , then i like the 555 circuit that uses a few diodes around the pot that is "throttle" (aka duty cycle.. aka the percentage of time the mosfet is on... aka the effective volts the load "sees".... square wave on 50% of the time,,, using 12v batteries, the load "sees" 6v average)
anyway.. the ones without the diodes never turn off 100%..

i think you would be better off with a lm324 instead of a 555 or 556.. ive tried both and the 555 ones all suck... adjusting duty cycle changes frequency etc.. the lm324 was ALOT

easier. google "lm344 pwm motor" if thats what your doing... even if your not using a motor..this is all assuming what you want is to be able to turn a knob and have a mosfet give proportionally more or less power to the load.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back