Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What Dremel to purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

transistance

I have never owned a Dremel before, I'm planning to buy a Dremel VersaTip and one of the multi-purpose tools (300/400 Digital series).

First of all, are these Dremel tools really useful? Do the bits crack and break really easily? Is the VersaTip actually good for soldering/welding?

The tool package itself is not very expensive but replacement parts look overpriced. Is it all worth it?

Which Dremel multi-purpose cutter should I get, 300 or 400 digital? Should I get one of the large packages with a lot of bits, or stick with the smaller ones?

What accessories (e.g. the tiny work bench) should I get?

Please do not hesitate to call any of the above mentioned products crap if that is the fact.

Thanks in advance,

I would not purchase the dremel as a soldering tool as I doubt it is very good. As a rotary tool, it works fairly well. It is well suited for light weight grinding and cutting. It also works for polishing. Many applications for the tool, but soldering, No.

I've used the Dremel® brand rotary tools for a long time, but I don't like their butane tools at all.

I've used Dremel for years. I am not familiar with the particular models you mention. The most important considerations to me in order are ball bearing construction, variable speed, and finger tighten chuck.

As for the accessories, the Dremel grinding points and sanding disk/cut-off wheel arbors are OK. I do not like their cutting burrs either for metal or wood. They dull quickly. Generally, I use 1/8" shank carbide burrs that one can find for about $1 to $2 each at the counter of an industrial supply store. For more demanding work, I buy good carbide burrs. They still cost less than or about the same as Dremel individual cutters, but work much better. For cut-off, I prefer the thin disks as opposed to the thicker, fiber reinforced ones. The thicker disks load up quickly and have a relatively wide kerf. The thin ones wear down, but stay sharp. You have to be careful not to break them, though.

John

I have never owned a Dremel before, I'm planning to buy a Dremel VersaTip and one of the multi-purpose tools (300/400 Digital series).

First of all, are these Dremel tools really useful?

I would have to say 'Yes', you will probably find yourself reaching for it more often, once you get comfortable using it. In fact, some years ago I had a complete refit to do on a 20ft boat. When I say 'Complete', I mean the whole interior was stripped out down to the bare fibreglass hull. The Dremel and a couple of carbide cutters handled it well.

Do the bits crack and break really easily?

The cutting wheels can crack and break if side force is exerted upon them, which is not how they are designed to be used. Always use eye protection..

Is the VersaTip actually good for soldering/welding?

Sorry, haven't used it so am not able to comment.

The tool package itself is not very expensive but replacement parts look overpriced. Is it all worth it?

The price of replacement bits are how they recoup the profits from offering a reasonably priced kit with minimal bits. 'Worth it' is subjective and depends on what the user intends to use the tool for. Using the bits on inappropriate materials will quickly dull/destroy them and result in more frequent replacement - more expenditure.

Which Dremel multi-purpose cutter should I get, 300 or 400 digital? Should I get one of the large packages with a lot of bits, or stick with the smaller ones?

You should weigh up your options - will you use every bit in the larger kit, or will you benefit more from hand selecting bits as each project requires.

What accessories (e.g. the tiny work bench) should I get?

If you currently, or intend to, make your own PCB's, a drill press attachment is pretty much invaluable. Expanding upon the boat project mentioned above, the little router table attachment came in very handy for making an instrument panel and flush mounting gauges, switches etc....could you see a benefit in using this for project boxes?

Please do not hesitate to call any of the above mentioned products crap if that is the fact.

Thanks in advance,

I'm quite a happy Dremel customer with no connection whatsoever to the company. :)

EDIT:
P.S. I've also previously used a Dremel as a spindle on my DIY CNC machine, to perform PCB routing.

Attachments

• 100_0120.JPG
    100_0120.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 905
Last edited:
Well i know soldering tools like the Versa tip and how well they work and in my opinion they work VERY well ofcourse all depensing on WHAT you need to solder...

I have a Versaflame my self and it's a super tool, it's a bit more unhandy for small jobs and not at comfy to use if you work on RC's like i do where you solder alot of wires there the VersaTip is PERFECT for those jobs and super fast too.

Some like electrical soldering tools other like the gastools i like them both the good thing about electrical solders is if you got the right ones you can set a specific temp for the tip of the iron where that is not so easy with a gas burner. However if you are on the move alot and often need a cordless solder the Versatip is Excellent for work in the field

For the Dremel roterary tool i have recently gotten the Digital 400 with flexaxel and it's a super tool it's a multi purpose tool for most smaller jobs where flexibility is a must.
I would also like to point out it's different what people need and demand from their tools some demand alot of versatility and others have hardly any demands at all so it's really a question of need and desires.

Best of luck with your projects.

I also have had a Dremel for many years. I was told back then to look for one with an AC motor not DC. I made the mistake of buying a cheaper DC model and burnt it out quickly. My AC motor model with a flex shaft is still running strong. I have found many uses for it including cutting bolts and clamps off a car engine in tight spaces. It takes a beating and just keeps going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back