Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does this motor circuit do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiffitz

This is on the back of a 380-size DC motor, run by six D cells through a momentary switch. You can see the motor terminals soldered on each side near the bottom. The red and orange wires on top are the power input leads.
**broken link removed**
Hosted on Fotki

I hooked up 14.4v (12-cell NiMh pack) to get more speed out of it and it works fine, however it starts up slowly for the first half second. Is that what this board does?

what this board does?

It's a high frequency transformer, or it's a filter to keep motor noise [RFI]out of other appliances and electronic devices.

Your motor starts slowly because your 14.4V battery or the battery connector cannot supply the very high starting current. The weak battery probably will cause the motor to slow down too much when it has a load.

Thanks, I guess I can leave it in then if it isn't limiting motor performance. I just need to assemble a new battery pack because the current ones are sort of mixed in cell capacity.

What is the green thing labeled "W200"?

I don't know.

It looks like a current sensing resistor but it could be a fuse.

Last edited:
Thanks, I guess I can leave it in then if it isn't limiting motor performance. I just need to assemble a new battery pack because the current ones are sort of mixed in cell capacity.

Don't EVER mix batteries like that, or even ones of different makes - one will always go flat first, the others will reverse charge it, and it will split leaking chemicals everywhere.

Don't EVER mix batteries like that, or even ones of different makes - one will always go flat first, the others will reverse charge it, and it will split leaking chemicals everywhere.
Yeah I know, they were old batteries and I needed a high amp 14.4v source just to test the motor. The pack is an 8-cell and half of another 8-cell wired in series. I'm only on the first charge and I don't plan on recharging the pack after this. If I split the leads I can charge them separately but I plan on making a new pack from two identical 6-cell packs anyway. The local electronics toy store has 6-cell packs on clearance for 10 bucks but they only had one in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back