Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does the A or B mean on a pot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A generally means audio taper and B generally means linear taper. In the example you asked about B10K means a 10K linear taper and A500K means 500K audio taper.

Audio taper is log correct.

Now here is the thing, thats what I always thought too. But I've bought several log pots that are B10k etc. Is it not a standard convention?

test them out to see if they are indeed log pots.
i.e hook up a multimeter and measure resistance as you rotate pot. See if the resistance increases slowly at the start of the rotation (for constant rotation speed) and increases quickly towards the end of the rotation. Then you have a log pot.

I haven't tested them yet, but I'm using one as a volume control and it works just fine, like a normal volume.

In "Mode" brand of Pots, B is a Linear Taper. And A is a Log Taper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back