Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does a comparator do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I have a comparator LM339M, what is its main purpose ? It has 4 inputs and 4 outputs as well as a Vcc and ground connection. When do the outputs go high ? Can you explain the basics. I do'nt have a specific purpose intended for it, I just want to know when outputs 1-4 go high or low and when and why..... Thanks in advance.... Jim

jbelectric777 said:
I just want to know ... Jim

Check out this site for all you ever need to know: home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/Comparators.html

jbelectric777 said:
Hi all, I have a comparator LM339M, what is its main purpose ? It has 4 inputs and 4 outputs as well as a Vcc and ground connection. When do the outputs go high ? Can you explain the basics. I do'nt have a specific purpose intended for it, I just want to know when outputs 1-4 go high or low and when and why..... Thanks in advance.... Jim

LM339 sounds like an analog comparator... These have two inputs and one output...

One of the input is called the non-inverting input (+) while the other is an inverting input (-)

When the voltage at the + terminal exceeds that at the - terminal, the output is high.

When the voltage at the - terninal exceeds that ath the + terminal, the out put is low.

Ex:
+ = 2.5v
- = 6v
Output =Low...

if
+ =5
- =-6
Output=High...

There are also some digital comparators...

Where two digital words are compared and the output is either 1 or 0...

LM339 is a current sinking comparator, so the outputs are either tied to ground, for a logic 1, or high resistance, for a logic 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back