Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what does a "CNC Press Brake Setter" do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

same as title just saw this position going but would like to know what its about before the jump into applying, as its from an agency I can't find any info on the actual end company

yea now I see what it is all about I can see they want somebody that is qualified as they say the right candidate may also become the workshop manager, its not for me, instead of advertiseing how great the job is they should have stated what the hec they wanted, I loose count of how many jobs I go for advertised at the job centre that are not properley explained or an error like the address is made or it turns out to be something totaly different....

Thunderchild said:
yea now I see what it is all about I can see they want somebody that is qualified as they say the right candidate may also become the workshop manager, its not for me, instead of advertiseing how great the job is they should have stated what the hec they wanted, I loose count of how many jobs I go for advertised at the job centre that are not properley explained or an error like the address is made or it turns out to be something totaly different....

I know a guy who does CNC work, he works (or worked?) at a factory where they make parts for Rolls Royce jet engines - he was a pretty clever guy, and had done a LOT of training.

Last I heard he went to Australia with his girlfriend, but I did hear a rumour he had come back, but I've not seen him. Apparently with his training and experience he had no problem finding a job in Aus.

yea I would think that knowing to work that stuff is real handy the best I can say for myself is I can work an offset printer and aparantly a company that makes something to do with ceilings wants somebody like me (with printing background) to learn from scratch how to work their machinery and rekon if you can print you can do this I hope they are right but I'll figure it

(by the way that was originally an engine assembly job I went for seems to happen nowadays you go for one and get another but this pays more but is more travel but sounds interesting)

Thunderchild said:
... they should have stated what the hec they wanted, ... not properley explained or an error .... is made or it turns out to be something totaly different....
Well, what do you know!
This sounds like many of the questions asked on this board!

JimB

hehe I just get p!ssed at the attitude of some job centre people (that would not have a job if we did) and the nasty attitude of letters especially when I see some of the crap they let through
the guy at the recruitment office told me the address that they put on it was wrong I got in as I went straight to the recruitment office to be told its our other ofice (20 miles away for a job round the corner) but the other job sounds more interesting so not only are there half a dozen agencies but you have to go to the office that issued it even if its in timbuctoo.

I got a letter from the job centre telling me a total pack of lies about a phone call I had with them and they are the ones that take a recording "to help improve the service" haha thats a joke

i do a little CNC work (i have a small cnc lathe, and 3 axis cnc mill) on my cnc tools, they are small (compaired to the ones where i used to work my ones are like toys) but they all talk pretty much the same language, just not necciseraly the same dialect.

If you can program a pic - in any high level language, you can master cnc production work, the dialect differences being similar to the differences between say PIC-BASIC, and mabey mikroBasic. same language but done slightly differently.

If you can remeber the old LOGO language that controls those line drawing robots, then your pretty much there:

FORWARD 10
RIGHT 90
FORWARD 10
RIGHT 45

only on a cnc you use G codes and M codes, for example..

G01 x,y,z tells the machine to move to position x,y,z

Where the skill comes in, as with pic programming ect, is understanding what the tool is going to do, and learned knowledge.

the example being that its easy to get the a mill to move to a certain position, but if its cutting on its way there, you need to know how fast it should be moving, as well as how fast the chuck should be spinning, otherwise you snap tools - or worse

i know how to program my machines, but i dont have the aquired knowledge of cutting speeds ect, so i still regularly snap tools. I find using CAD/CAM software is best though, as if you set up the software correctly, i wont let you do silly things, or at least it will warn you if you do.

just my $0.02

My friend had a job feeding raw materials into a CNC, I wish I could have gotten his position, would have been an excellent foot in the door to learn bout CNC machines, which i've never worked with before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back