Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What does a best man do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's these things that I don't know much about:
-Possibly helping plan or organize some details of the wedding
-Assisting with wedding-day logistics and unforeseen circumstances that arise
-Supervising the groomsmen or ushers

I've never been to an entire wedding before (the three times I have gone my parents only went to the reception and never the part before so I have no idea what happens).

ha planning aint much, its more just being apart of the planning process. In all fairness it is the bride and the mom that will be doing ALL the planning with some delegating to groom and bestman, like you may get asked to order a few things and those few things will be VERY WELL DETAILED!!! (don't improvise, just get those things!!!)

the other two are just standing around over-seeing ushers (who will be directing ppl to seats).

to be honest the hard part is the speach, everything else isn't that hard

dknguyen said:
SO what is a best man supposed to do?

hi,
In addition to the formal list.

Get a couple of large umbrella's, the sort you get for the beach, and carry them in the boot/trunk of your car.

Dont let the official photographer 'bully' everyone around.

the best man is also supposed to throw the bachler party, hold the brides ring until they are ready for it, and pay the police detail ( not with your money though )

ericgibbs said:
Dont let the official photographer 'bully' everyone around.
My own wedding's coming up May 10, 2008. What's bugging me most is that the bride's mom insists on having a DJ. For comparative costs, and because I know how, I'd rather just make a mix CD of what we want, and operate rental equipment remotely myself (easy, as it's a small venue - live music for the service, though, of course).

The bride's mom won't have any of it, so I'm vetoed. How do I make sure the DJ doesn't suck? The guy my sister had was a drunk, and didn't take any requests!

Back to the original topic, I don't know who I'm going to have as a best man, or if I will have one at all. I've had plenty of good friends, all with their distinct perks, but it'd be hard for me to pick the best one. The "best man" in any room I've ever been in has always been me. Still, I guess for the utilitarian purposes already mentioned (especially holding the ring and talking me up - both easy things to do), I might want to have one.

So now that we know what a best man does, how do you pick one?

On the topic of DJs, doing your own is a definite no no. A professional DJ will cater for the people that are there, you will play what you think they should listen to. However, making sure that an experienced DJ is picked is a must. Allowing future MIL to pick Johny from next door is a couple of rungs below the groom's choice. Accept that a DJ is required and get involved in choosing one. You will be far too busy to even press a button.

Wishing you well in your upcoming event.

Mike.

Hank Fletcher said:
How do I make sure the DJ doesn't suck? The guy my sister had was a drunk, and didn't take any requests!

You've got loads of your mates there, he's on his own - I would suggest the threat of physical violence, with a demonstration or two, will soon get him trained! - think puppy and rolled up newspaper! :p

The only purpose of a best man is to perform the toast to the bride & groom at the reception, whereby he "airs the dirty laundry" about the groom on the moments of drunken stupors, old girlfriends, bar fights, and the strippers hired for the bachelor party.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back